ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Duplicate a comp without mirroring?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan WilliamsDuplicate a comp without mirroring?
by on Jun 19, 2010 at 5:33:35 pm

I have a pre-composition that I want to duplicate, then use the new version as a template for my next shot.

When I do this, and say change some text in the new comp, it changes in the old comp as well.

I am duplication my comp by pressing Command-D. Any ideas?

Thank you
Alan

Return to posts index

Andy GeorgeRe: Duplicate a comp without mirroring?
by on Jun 19, 2010 at 10:03:44 pm

Hi Alan,

If you duplicate the precomp in your project panel rather than in your timeline
you will get the results your looking for. You can right click on the precomp and select reveal in project if your not sure where it is.

If the precomp in your timeline has animated property's that you want to carry over to your new precomp then duplicate the original in the timeline and with the second copy selected, holding down option, drag and drop the new precomp from your project panel into the timeline. Your project panel duplicate will take on the animated properties of your timeline duplicate.

-Andy

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Duplicate a comp without mirroring?
by on Jun 20, 2010 at 1:34:08 pm

Sounds like you're making your changes in the original comp instead of the duplicate ... right click on each of them in the project panel and look at the comps they're used in to make sure you're changing the right one.

For example, if you duplicate both a pre-comp and the comp it's used in, the duplicate comp will still have the original pre-comp, not the the duplicate. So, you would need to open the duplicate comp, select the pre-comp layer within it and ALT drag the duplicate pre-comp over the original pre-comp layer in order to replace it with the duplicate. It's much simpler than it sounds in writing.

Oops ... just realized Andy already answered.

Return to posts index

Alan WilliamsRe: Duplicate a comp without mirroring?
by on Jun 21, 2010 at 1:33:27 am

Guys thank you, I 'm sure this question has been asked a million times but I didn't what to search for.

Thank you for helping me!! I would have never figured this out, like ever!

Perhaps in CS6 Adobe could make a "Duplicate new instance" or something :)

Thank you again!
Alan

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Duplicate a comp without mirroring?
by on Jul 3, 2010 at 5:27:06 pm

> Perhaps in CS6 Adobe could make a "Duplicate new instance" or something :)

That's a great feature request. Please file it using the feature-request form.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]