ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Start a Mask at a certain point

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan McDonald
Start a Mask at a certain point
on Jun 15, 2010 at 10:12:31 pm

I'm trying to do a teleportation jump bit and I am using a mask and then adding CC Radial Blur that spikes up quickly.

What I need to know is how to add that mask at a certain frame. I don't want it to be there all the time since I would then have to animate it for several frames. I want it to just come on at one frame, last for a few animated frames, then go away.

I can't figure out which thing to keyframe for this and searching the web for "AE Masking" brings up 3.4 billion pages.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Start a Mask at a certain point
on Jun 15, 2010 at 10:22:42 pm

If this mask is on your video footage, just animate the effect's property for the amount of blur using keyframes. Easy as pie.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ryan McDonald
on Jun 15, 2010 at 10:31:48 pm

Thanks, but I didn't explain it well.

I want the mask itself to start and stop at a certain point. The people are moving around and then at a certain point I want the mask to start, the effect to kick in (which I can do), and then the scene is over.

Now I have the mask set to about 10 frames before the effect and it's animated from that point to the end, but before the mask start point the people are moving in and out of the mask and getting cut off. I had to split the scene and mask the split part and leave the top part as is, but I think there's someway to just have the mask itself come on at a certain point.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jun 15, 2010 at 10:40:47 pm

If you're asking what I think you're asking, you have a couple of options.
Option 1: split your layer at the point where you want your mask to start.
Option 2: keyframe your mask the way you want it and the frame right before you want it, add another keyframe and make it cover the whole footage (or none of the footage, depending on what you're doing)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Ryan McDonald
on Jun 16, 2010 at 7:38:03 am

That's what I wanted to know and it seems so obvious now.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]