ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Bubbling effect on a layer in Photoshop

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shaun HughesBubbling effect on a layer in Photoshop
by on Jun 15, 2010 at 3:32:54 pm

I imported a layered image from Photoshop into After Effects. I would like to take one of the layers and make it appear to bubble/boil. Are there any effects or techniques which would make this possible?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Bubbling effect on a layer in Photoshop
by on Jun 15, 2010 at 3:35:20 pm

Check out the possibility of using the Foam effect.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shaun HughesRe: Bubbling effect on a layer in Photoshop
by on Jun 15, 2010 at 7:01:52 pm

Sweet, I think that can work once I figure out exactly what each parameter does!
Another question, how do you contain the Foam effect to a particular area? I thought masks would be the way to go, but I am not too familiar with how (or if) masks work with effects. If it helps, I used this process from the forums to create the Foam:

"Are you trying to get the bubbles to reflect/refract the footage you've applied it to?

Try this one:

Drop your footage in your timeline.
Create a new black solid above it, apply the Foam effect.
Now, in RENDERING, set Blend mode to Transparent
Select a Bubble Texture you like.
Select the footage layer as your Environment Map.
Set both the Reflection Strength and Convergence to 1,000.
Don't forget to switch your View (at the top of the Foam effect box) to Rendered!

This should effectively give you the effect of bubbles reflecting/refracting the underlaying footage.

To add some realism, then precompose the Foam layer, add Force Motion Blur, and add a bit of Lens Blur to make the bubbles fit your footage better (Foam tends to render the bubble edges really sharp)."

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Bubbling effect on a layer in Photoshop
by on Jun 15, 2010 at 9:56:20 pm

You may want to look into using CC Mr. Mercury too. Depending on what you mean by "bubbling".
If you mask something in a precomp, it will probably work more like you want it to. Although, with Foam you can control where the bubbles go with flow maps, which is way cool.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved