ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

even zoom speed & dimming backround

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Iulia Sargu
even zoom speed & dimming backround
on Jun 7, 2010 at 4:01:03 pm

I have a footage that my friend shot zooming out from an object to the entire room. Problem is the zoom speed is kinda uneven. Especially at first she must have accidentally pushed the zoom lever too far or smth, coz it's much faster than the rest. Anyway, what I need is a way to even the zoom speed, as to have a smooth video. Read smth on tracking in AE on the internet, but not sure that's what I need to do and since I'm a newbie at this whole editing business, could use some extra advice ^^

Second problem: footage of a girl sitting at a table; backlit. The backlight is too strong, so what I wanna do is dimm the backround and possibly add more light to the figure. Any way of doing this without masking? Are there any controls in AE that do for video what curves&levels do for photos, for example?!

Thanks in advance for your answers. Really appreciate it!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: even zoom speed & dimming backround
on Jun 7, 2010 at 5:11:16 pm

Don't use After Effects to correct shooting errors of this magnitude. You will never be satisfied with the result. Re-shoot.

Dave's Stock Answer #2:

When you're out on a shoot, and you say, "we'll fix this in post" without knowing PRECISELY HOW you're going to fix it in post, don't shoot it! You'll only end up shooting it over again.

Since post typically costs three times the cost of production, fixing something in post is not a way to save money, but rather a way to spend more of it.

And, before you say "well fix it in post," always consider who's doing the work, especially if you're the one doing the work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jun 7, 2010 at 6:25:18 pm

I fully agree with Dave. Reshoot.
[Iulia Sargu] "Are there any controls in AE that do for video what curves&levels do for photos, for example?"
Yes. Curves and Levels.

[Iulia Sargu] "The backlight is too strong, so what I wanna do is dimm the backround and possibly add more light to the figure. Any way of doing this without masking?"
Not really. Again, reshooting is your best option.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jun 7, 2010 at 7:27:12 pm

You can smooth out the zoom by using timewarp and precomping that then timestretching out the same number. This will average out the zooming frames nicely. As for backlit, you will want to restore the highlights and bump up the shadows. Curves could maybe work but I also made custom projects for both.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/979327
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/978546#978546

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]