ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Listening to an audio track as I go along

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joey Bania
Listening to an audio track as I go along
on Jun 6, 2010 at 5:23:55 am

Hi all.

I'm currently trying to put together a one minute sequence to accompany a narration I've recorded.

It would be great to be able to hear the audio track as I am working so I can get the timing of the images just right.

But I can't seem to find a way to do this. I'm relatively new to AE and the only resource I could find on this problem recommended "scrubbing" or RAM previewing but neither of these options allows me to easily hear the audio as I work.

Are there any ways to achieve my desired result?

Thanks in advance for any help.

- Joey

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Listening to an audio track as I go along
on Jun 6, 2010 at 9:21:58 am

This section describes all of the ways that you can play (preview) audio: "Preview video and audio"

RAM previewing is the way to see video and hear audio at the same time. If you're trying to time things to certain parts of the audio, then you can press the asterisk key (*) on the numeric keypad during a RAM preview to place markers.

You can also press LL to show the audio waveform so that you can line keyframes and such up with beats in music.

Yet another way of timing animation to audio is to convert audio to keyframes and then use that output to coordinate your work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jun 8, 2010 at 6:10:05 pm

[Todd Kopriva] "If you're trying to time things to certain parts of the audio, then you can press the asterisk key (*) on the numeric keypad during a RAM preview to place markers.

You can also press LL to show the audio waveform so that you can line keyframes and such up with beats in music."

These would be two of my top suggestions. You can also do only an audio preview ('.' on the numberpad) and place markers to then line your visuals up to.

In addition you can scrub the timeline while holding command (control on PC) to get a rough/choppy preview of the audio at that time. This isn't for fine control, but for roughing things in.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 7, 2010 at 3:30:36 pm

...and although Todd doesn't come out and say it, you'll just have to get used to the techniques for dealing with audio in AE. They're not intuitive at all, and they just plain 'n simple take practice. After a while, you catch on.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]