ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Colors from a tutorial do not match

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Fast
Colors from a tutorial do not match
on Jun 4, 2010 at 8:24:29 pm

I'm trying to follow this tutorial but it stops for me already in the first step. When I set the specified values I don't get the same image. I get this instead: .

As you can see not only the colors mismatch, the direction of the light is not correct and some other things. Thus, I wonder whether I've done something wrong or the tutorial has some mistakes.

I'm a very newbie in AE and therefore cannot figure out what is wrong by myself. Please help me with this one.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Colors from a tutorial do not match
on Jun 4, 2010 at 8:55:12 pm

From the tutorial: "Make sure the layer mode is set to Add on the upper layers."

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Tim Fast
on Jun 4, 2010 at 9:23:52 pm

Thank you for the answer Michael. However, I did change the blending mode to Add but still got the image above.

Return to posts index

Tim Fast
on Jun 5, 2010 at 6:28:50 pm

Has anybody actually tried the tutorial? At least the first step? It would take a couple of minutes but it would give the answer whether it is my fault that the pictures mismatch or the tutorial misses some lines.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 7, 2010 at 3:24:04 am

I think that there's probably a typo in the numbers in that first step. When I followed along, my colors came out kind of purple, like yours. I was able to tweak each of a few differerent things (such as the intensity of the diffuse light) to get the overall blue that seemed right.

This detail doesn't really affect the meat of the tutorial, though, which is a good introduction to CC Sphere.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Tim Fast
on Jun 7, 2010 at 6:53:59 am

Thank you Todd for the reply! Yes, I've figured out that the colors are messy in the tutorial. However, as you say there are other things that had to be tweaked to make the sphere look like it does.

As I wrote in the first message I'm very new to AE and my goal with the tutorial was to learn how to create a nice lit sphere. My own attempts failed - my spheres looked unnatural. That's why I think that's a pity that the tutorial fails in this very first step because I cannot recreate the sphere and see the connection between the different parameters of the CC Sphere effect and the layers applied.

But thank you anyway for the reply. At least I know that it is not me now. :-)

P.S. If you have a spared minute, could you please post the correct parameters?

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jun 8, 2010 at 6:14:18 pm

[Tim Fast] "P.S. If you have a spared minute, could you please post the correct parameters?"

It's a mistake to think that there are 'correct' parameters. I would recommend that you take the concepts from the tutorial and determine your own colors/lighting.

The basic idea here is that while CC Sphere only provides you with one light, you can composite several differently lit spheres together for more dramatic backlit/3-point lighting set ups. Just decide what color YOU want for your environment/ambient, diffuse and speculars, and where YOU want them to be. Those are your correct values.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Tim Fast
on Jun 8, 2010 at 7:32:48 pm

Thank you Darby for your answer. By "correct" parameters I meant the ones that correspond to this particular tutorial. Of course, I will use different settings in my project.

Yes, the tutorial helped me to realize that CC Sphere has just one source of light and that I need several layers to have the object lit nicer. With this knowledge my project got better look but I'm still not really satisfied with the result. However, I like the result in the tutorial and I want to figure out how my parameters differ from the ones in the tutorial.

I find it rather confusing that there is a layer in the tutorial named "Diffuse Light" but it's Diffuse parameter is exactly the same as the others three. In fact, the parameters for this layer are very similar to Specular Light layer, even if Diffuse and Specular lights are completely different things. Thus, I don't understand the logic in this tutorial and if I had the exact parameters I believe I would understand it better.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]