ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

smoothing out the bumps...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Deansmoothing out the bumps...
by on Jun 3, 2010 at 12:08:39 am

what is the trick to smoothing out moves in ae? it seems like any move i set up that changes direction at some point ie. using 3 key frames, that even using easy eases on all 3 keyframes, i still get a bump. even using "rove across time" doesn't eliminate the bump entirely. sometimes, using easy eases, especially using one between 2 keyframes, that ae takes on a mind of it's own and adds an unwanted hook to the move.

i am talking about typical ken burns moves here, nothing fancy. i am using a camera now with all my layers set to 3d although i'm not putting any distance between the layers.
i just want to be able to do a continuous move from a to b to c without bumps.

thanks for you help.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: smoothing out the bumps...
by on Jun 3, 2010 at 12:50:56 am

See this page, specifically the part about spatial interpolation and "boomerang" motion on this page. It explains where those unwanted bumps are coming from and how to get rid of them.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Mitch HardisonRe: smoothing out the bumps...
by on Jun 3, 2010 at 1:43:35 am

awesome. thanks so much.

Return to posts index

Richard HarringtonRe: smoothing out the bumps...
by on Jun 3, 2010 at 5:55:58 pm

Try making middle frame a roving keyframe

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: smoothing out the bumps...
by on Jun 8, 2010 at 6:17:30 pm

Roving keyframes adjust the temporal interpolation of the keyframe, which can help, but is a different issue than what you're experiencing which is spatial interpolation.

I recommend that you go into your Preferences > General and enable 'Default Spatial Interpolation to Linear.' Every spatial keyframe you make from then on will interpolate in a straight line from one to the next. If you then WANT a curve in the motion path then you can go to a 4-up view and adjust the motion path with the pen tool in the same way you would adjust the curvature of a mask's path (analogous to the motion path) around the vertices (analogous to the keyframes).

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

John DeanRe: smoothing out the bumps...
by on Jun 8, 2010 at 6:21:23 pm

Thanks Darby, good tip!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved