ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

A basic graphic depicting atomic activity

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joey BaniaA basic graphic depicting atomic activity
by on May 29, 2010 at 12:09:50 am

Good people of creative cow.

I am relatively new to After Effects, not having needed to use it until this point. Now I am in desperate need of a simple graphic showing how atoms behave in different states of matter.

What I have in mind is a similar to the ones at the top of this page but with a little more style and a little less gif. That said, I don't have a lot of time to make it so it needs to be relatively simple.

How would I best go about this? I found this tutorial but it's from 2003 so a little outdated I guess.

Any help would be much appreciated!

- P

Return to posts index

Simon BonnerRe: A basic graphic depicting atomic activity
by on May 29, 2010 at 7:27:58 pm

Hi Joey,

You might want to experiment with the CC Sphere effect to create a spherical 'molecule' that looks genuinely 3D. Then bring that comp into a new comp and animate it moving about, perhaps in 3D space (along X, Y and Z). You could use the Wiggler to make the motion random. For the solid, you could parent all the molecules to a null object and then animate the null: that way they will move in unison.

You might also find Dan Ebbert's expression guide useful for this kind of animation:

Simon Bonner

Return to posts index

Joey BaniaRe: A basic graphic depicting atomic activity
by on Jun 6, 2010 at 8:06:31 am

Thank you very much for the great tips. I followed your instructions and after a lot of mistakes and lessons learnt, I came up with something I was relatively happy with (considering it was my first foray into AE!

Id you'd like to see what I came up with it's in this video, about 23 seconds in.

Thanks again!

- Joey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved