ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Changing Key Frame Settings (Snap Back``)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Corinne FriesenChanging Key Frame Settings (Snap Back``)
by on May 23, 2010 at 10:43:38 pm

Can anyone tell me why, when I`m changing settings on key frames, they often transfer the change to the other keyframes in the time line.

When this happens, I check to make sure I have my CTI on the keyframe in question. And I make sure that the keyframe I want to change is the only one `lit up`. But I often end up with a situation where I change a value on one key frame and then, going back to another, I find that one`s been changed, too.

An example is when I`m playing with particle explosions.
I have a layer that is my exploding particles. That`s going fine.
I have another layer that is a central ball of light, the center of the explosion, that`s supposed to be the `source` of the explosion before it dies back and disappears.
For this layer, I have my x, y and z positions set to zero. My birth size starts out at 1.3, which gives me a nice ball of light. Then I want to have this ball of light die back, so I then put in a keyframe and has the birth size change to zero. When I do that, the intial birth size changes to zero also.

*Scratching head.*

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Changing Key Frame Settings (Snap Back``)
by on May 24, 2010 at 12:43:55 am

I'm guessing that you have both keyframes selected when you make the change.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Corinne FriesenRe: Changing Key Frame Settings (Snap Back``)
by on May 24, 2010 at 3:29:31 pm

Thanks but no. Definitely don't have both keyframes selected. That's the first thing I checked.

But you have me wondering if the keyframes have become linked somehow. Is that possible? If so, how did I do that and how do I undo that?

Return to posts index

by on May 24, 2010 at 3:40:54 pm

This sounds weird. Is it just happening with the particle effect that you mentioned?

Please give more details about version number of After Effects, operating system, etc.

Also, please post a screenshot that shows the keyframes and properties in the Timeline panel that are showing this misbehavior.

If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

by on May 24, 2010 at 4:24:55 pm

Hi, Todd,

Thanks for your help on this one.

It has happened on other projects as well, such as Earth Zoom and also when I was just trying to learn the features using the basic "Surfer" tutorial.

I'm using CS4 (version 9) on both an XP op system and also on my daughter's Vista system (sorry to mention the 'V' word).

Here's a screen shot. The offending layer is showing, with one of the misbehaving keyframes highlighted.

The control layer you see lower down parents other layers farther down and, in theory, not this one. (I say "in theory" cause you never know if it's doing what I intended! LOL)

Hmmm... can't really see too much on this, I'll see if I can get some close ups posted.

Return to posts index

by on May 24, 2010 at 4:32:16 pm

The resolution on that image is too low for me to make out the important things.

Return to posts index

by on May 24, 2010 at 4:35:11 pm

Here are some close ups.

And, if it helps at all:

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Changing Key Frame Settings (Snap Back``)
by on May 24, 2010 at 9:39:05 pm

I don't have a solution, but try looking at the graph editor when you change the value to see how it's affecting the rate of change of your property.

This is the last button on the right above the timeline, just to the left of the brainstorm button. Make sure you have the animated property you want to check selected when you click it, or select it after the graph editor appears.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

by on May 25, 2010 at 1:20:31 am

Thanks for the suggestion, Darby. I'll give that a try.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]