ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Text Opacity - Only Affect Face

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Caruso
Text Opacity - Only Affect Face
on May 21, 2010 at 3:03:05 pm

I have standard text with a stroke around it. I want the fill or "face" of the text to be 50% transparent while keeping the stroke at 100% transparency. How would I go about doing this?

Also, how would I go about getting whatever is seen through the newly transparent fill of the text to be blurry? As if the looking through the text caused it to go out of focus.

Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Text Opacity - Only Affect Face
on May 21, 2010 at 3:19:40 pm

Are you using Fill Over Stroke, or Stroke Over Fill when you make the text?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matt Caruso
on May 21, 2010 at 3:21:29 pm

Well I actually already solved that problem by making another layer only the stroke.

I'm still trying to figure out how to do the blur effect, though.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 21, 2010 at 3:33:38 pm

No problem: duplicate the text layer in question, and use the Fill only option: no stroke. Duplicate the layer to be blurred, and blur it. Now use the no-stroke text layer as a track matte for the blur layer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on May 21, 2010 at 9:28:18 pm

If you want to blur everything behind the text in the composition, create an adjustment layer just below your fill text layer. Apply a Blur & Sharpen > Fast Blur to this layer with your desired blur amount and set the adjustment layer to use your text layer as an Alpha Track Matte.

Also, you can alter your fill/stroke opacity separately on a single text layer using a text animator. With your text layer selected go to Animation > Animate Text > Fill Color > Opacity. Then change the opacity in the text animator setting to your desired amount. No need to animate it, unless you want to :)

Even if you're not animating your text, these text animators allow you to control your text much more precisely.

-Darby

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]