ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to Export HUGE Files Faster

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lillian YoungHow to Export HUGE Files Faster
by on May 18, 2010 at 7:48:46 pm

I need to export six movies that are about 769x576-ish in dimension and at least 1 hour each.

These are web captures of text and static graphics with minor frame designing done in After Effects, hence the export from AE vs. another program.

The client wants these videos by 5pm tomorrow, so I have a little over 24 hours to complete them.

My method

1. Export in the render queue (Animation codec) so that I have a master mov copy

2. Export an FLV from that master mov

The problem with this is that my first export of a master mov from AE is estimated to take over 4 hours. That puts me into the evening for ONE video.

Then of course there's a chance for an error (like a memory error). Not to mention the time it'll take to render the FLV from that huge file!

I'm used to these high settings for real videos with shorter durations. I have never exported an hour-long webcast from After Effects,and maybe I don't need my normal high settings for this webcast?

Any suggestions?

Work Machine Specs

Mac OS 10.5.2
2x3 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
4GB 800 RAM

Exporting to a Lacie 1TB drive

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to Export HUGE Files Faster
by on May 18, 2010 at 8:06:49 pm

[Lillian Young] "I need to export six movies that are about 769x576-ish"

That's an odd sort of screen resolution. The 576 leads me to believe we're talking about PAL SD.

[Lillian Young] "2. Export an FLV from that master mov "

Does the client want FLV's? I presume the answer's yes. But that 576 is bugging me: is the client going to put these to DVD's or something?

[Lillian Young] "The problem with this is that my first export of a master mov from AE is estimated to take over 4 hours. That puts me into the evening for ONE video. "

This makes it sound like you're using AE to convert to FLV. Don't do it! Use something else to do it, like Adobe Media Encoder, Apple Compressor.... what ever you've got that'll do it.

[Lillian Young] "...maybe I don't need my normal high settings for this webcast? "

That's not a good question to ask here. Ask on the COW's Compression Techniques forum. And be prepared to tell those folks PRECISELY what you're expected to deliver, and how it eventually will be used.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Lillian YoungRe: How to Export HUGE Files Faster
by on May 18, 2010 at 8:14:56 pm

Hi Dave,

This is for a video player within a web page, so the dimensions are based on the live capture. It's not for any standard DVD or display. I mentioned the dimensions to give an idea of how physically large the videos are, which of course contribute to the file size.

I'm exporting an animation codec mov from After Effects, not an FLV. Correct.

I've watched a couple of vids on Lynda and VideoCopilot on exporting (which I know how to do, but have never exported something this large, so I need suggestions), so I think I'm going to try a jpeg or h.264 on the next render. But I'll also take this question to the appropriate forum.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to Export HUGE Files Faster
by on May 18, 2010 at 8:24:24 pm

Wait: I thought you already HAD your 6 programs accessible as Quicktimes in the Animation codec.

You mean you sill have to make five more, not including the one you mentioned earlier?

And THEN you're going to compress to flash?

Okay, to reiterate: Mame the QT's in AE, but.... DO NOT USE AE TO DO THE COMPRESSION!! USE SOMETHING ELSE TO DO IT!!

Kapiche? And good luck hitting your deadline. You'll be up all night.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: How to Export HUGE Files Faster
by on May 18, 2010 at 8:52:04 pm

My recommendation is to have After Effects create the QuickTime movies and then have Adobe Media Encoder pick the files up automatically for conversion to FLV, using a watch folder. That way, you can just start the multi-item render in After Effects and walk away. (Though you'll want to run a test before you leave the system chugging overnight.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Lillian YoungRe: How to Export HUGE Files Faster
by on May 18, 2010 at 9:21:07 pm

Hi Todd,

I never knew about that option in Media Encoder, thanks.

I'm running into an FLV settings error, however when setting up a watch folder.

I've started the folder as instructed, then next to the folder name, I've selected FLV|F4V

Under Preset, I've selected FLV - Same as Source (Flash 8 & Higher)

Under Output File, on the next line down (the only clickable link), I check the format, and it's f4v, not flv as specified.

Am I doing something wrong?

Media Encoder CS 4.0.0.374

Thanks to both of you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]