ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Trouble with moving still images across the screen

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeep johnson
Trouble with moving still images across the screen
on May 17, 2010 at 1:37:43 pm

I am having what I believe to be interlace issues with moving still images across the screen. Although they are very crips images they get soft while animating them. To the poiunt of being unusable. I have tried deinterlacing them in Photoshop, I have tried different interpretations in AE, I have tried to reduce Interlace flicker. I have exported different fileds first and no fields, I have tried different compressions....running out of ideas and time. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jeep

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Trouble with moving still images across the screen
on May 17, 2010 at 3:01:58 pm

[jeep johnson] "I have tried deinterlacing them in Photoshop, I have tried different interpretations in AE, I have tried to reduce Interlace flicker. I have exported different fileds first and no fields, I have tried different compressions....running out of ideas and time. "

Still images do not contain interlacing, so you don't have to deinterlace them. If they're going soft, there could be a few other reasons why:
  • Scaling the image up way beyond 100% -- either as a layer in the main comp, or in a layer in a nested comp
  • Mistakenly applying a blur to the image, either to the image itself or to an Adjustment Layer
  • Not using the Continuously Rasterize switch when scaling up a vector image

Any of these apply to you?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

jeep johnson
on May 17, 2010 at 3:15:40 pm

Dave...thanks for the thoughts...The images I am use are at around 20% of their size, so that doesn't seem to be it. I checked there is no blur filters and they are photographs and not vector images, so that doesn't seem to be right??????

Thanks, Jeep

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 17, 2010 at 4:04:28 pm

My first thought is that you're seeing the results of subpixel interpolation, as described here:

"Layer image quality and subpixel positioning"

If my guess is correct, then switching the layer to Draft mode will prevent the softening.

That said, images in motion tend to have motion blur in the real world, so some softening is realistic. (Not that you need to have soft images, but note that crispness is not realistic in moving things.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

jeep johnson
on May 17, 2010 at 4:14:26 pm

Todd...thanks for the thoughts I will give them a try...Jeep

Thanks, Jeep

Return to posts index

Axel Rogge
on May 18, 2010 at 7:33:03 am

Hi Jeep,

one of my popular mistakes is setting the preview quality to "half" and forgetting that afterwards... Does the softness appear in the rendered files as well? Which format of still image did you import?
Did you switch motion blur off?

That´s what I did wrong when getting those results.

Good luck!
Axel

Return to posts index

jeep johnson
on May 18, 2010 at 11:31:27 am

Axel...Thanks for the thoughts and ideas...How I seemed to solve it was change my composition settings simply to be the 720 HD setting instead of making a custom setting I had going. I also did check my preview settings and motion blur. I am importing Jpeg and Photoshop formats with resolutions between 72 and 125 usually keeping file size 1-2 megs. Thanks all for the input...now I can get some work done.

Thanks, Jeep

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 18, 2010 at 2:55:53 pm

[jeep johnson] "I am importing Jpeg and Photoshop formats with resolutions between 72 and 125....."

That "72" number is something of a red flag in AE-Land: people -- mainly heavy Photoshop users -- seem to think 72 dpi is TV resolution.

It's a myth.

AE knows absolutely NOTHING about the concept of Dots Per Inch. It only knows about pixels. Let's say you do a little Photoshop work on a photograph: it's cropped and fixed the way you want... except for size. One is 6 inches wide at 300dpi, and the other is 12 inches wide at 150 dpi.

When you import both of them into AE, you discover they're exactly the same size. That's because they're BOTH 1800 pixels wide.

So forget about dpi, and keep that calculator handy for division and multiplication: it'll help you figure PIXELS, which is all that AE understands.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

jeep johnson
on May 18, 2010 at 5:40:45 pm

Dave...thanks again for the additional info...appreciate it....Jeep

Thanks, Jeep

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved