ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

duplicating an image over & over with good timing how to?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kath Hawkinsduplicating an image over & over with good timing how to?
by on May 14, 2010 at 7:05:48 am

Hi all, This is my first post, I have watched tutorial after tutorial but can't seem to find this simple thing i need to achieve.

I want one little person (vector graphic) to appear then in half second intervals duplicate it's self to the end of the screen, then start again on the line below etc. etc. until it fills the page. Half way through I have some words fly in: "10,500 people move to the Sunshine Coast every year".

I have achieved this but I have done it by moving the time line manually pasting another little man, move time line again paste again.

Once I've finished the line of men I duplicate all of the layers then paste and move to the appropriate time so they start appearing on the next line.

I can't get the EXACT time right. The men appear but not all exactly on time as the last one. Which makes it look dodgy.

I am a big noob at this, using af now for all of 2 weeks.

A simple explanation or a link to a tutorial covering the above would be great.

thanks
Kath
Sunshine Coast Australia

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: duplicating an image over & over with good timing how to?
by on May 14, 2010 at 7:38:35 pm

You only have to get the timing right on ONE line. You also have to get the layers' position right, I'd guess.

Got it? Good. Now save the project.

Move the timeline cursor to the time when the next little guy should appear. Select your little guys and hit command-d (Mac) to duplicate them. While the duplicates are highlighted, grab one, and drag them down to the bottom. While still highlighted, use the arrow down and shift-arrow down shortcuts to move them vertically. Then grab the first little guy to appear, and move it to the spot where you moved the timeline cursor: the rest will follow.

Repeat as necessary.

And since you're a newbie, and obviously in over your head, you should read the following link COMPLETELY and CAREFULLY:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

When you first started using AE, you probably thought to yourself, "Hey, how hard can this stuff be?"

You're now learning.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kath HawkinsRe: duplicating an image over & over with good timing how to?
by on May 15, 2010 at 5:15:25 am

Thanks Dave, basically that's what I was doing, I just need to spend a little more time on the timing. I just thought AF might have a step & repeat command which you could specify how many duplicates and at what timing intervals you want.

I am a graphic designer of 20+ years and currently Production Manager of a weekly magazine. So as for this being, quote "obviously over my head" I wouldn't quite agree with you. Sometimes though when learning a new program it can be just the little simple things that get you stuck. No amount of watching tutorials has told me that "no there is no step & repeat feature in AF, and yes some things DO take time and effort if you want to get it exactly right.

Thanks for your reply
Kath

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Todd KoprivaRe: duplicating an image over & over with good timing how to?
by on May 16, 2010 at 12:01:21 am

Actually, if you're doing this with vector graphics, then the Repeater path operation for shape layers is just what you're looking for. Let me know if you need help using it after you've read this page and watched the tutorials that it points to.

If you haven't used shape layers at all yet, then you might want to start here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

by on May 17, 2010 at 10:04:19 am

Hi Todd,
Thanks for that. I have done the tutorial but am still stuck.
The end result is that 15 little men start off the page, then they "move" (all 15 of them) onto the page. I am wanting them to "appear" one after the other in half second intervals. I can't seem to find an area in the repeater options where this is possible.

Kath

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: duplicating an image over & over with good timing how to?
by on May 17, 2010 at 2:40:28 pm

1. Draw a little man as a shape layer.
2. Add the Repeater operation.
3. Set a keyframe for the Copies property to the value of 0.
4. Move the current-time indicator to a later time.
5. Set a keyframe for the Copies property to the value of 15.

This will create a row of little men that animates onto the screen.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

by on May 19, 2010 at 6:52:12 am

Thank you! Simple when put like that :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]