ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Question about masking

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James evansQuestion about masking
by on May 12, 2010 at 7:46:55 pm

Hello there, i'm really hoping you guys can help me out with a quick questions

i'm creating an animation video in after effects that relies heavily on pencil drawings for a hand drawn effect. most of the images have no fills, just ink outlines.

Im wondering if there is a way to create a mask that is independent of all layers, meaning that i can position this mask so it can be animated independently of other layers, and masks only what is placed beneath it in the timeline?

i have been searching forums and youtube for tutorials, but unfortunately i am not well versed with after effects terminology so i, cant seem to find the answer,

thank you for your help

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Question about masking
by on May 13, 2010 at 12:18:24 am

You're describing a track matte.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Ram ManoharRe: Question about masking
by on May 14, 2010 at 3:20:50 pm

Yes, we can create a mask that is independent of all other layers.. That mask layer is called 'Shape Layer'.
Without selecting any layer in your composition, click on the Pen tool icon in tool bar, then draw whatever shape
you want with that pen tool. it displayed on timeline as a Shape Layer1. You can animate it independent of all other layers with its Path attribute(Contents->Shape1->Path1->Path).

In this process you will get a filled shape layer, to avoid it click on "Fill" in your tool bar (click on only "Fill" word, not the fill color). Then you will get 'Fill Options' dialogue in that select 'Solid Color' as None, click ok. Now you will get path type mask , instead of filled one...

hope you get it...

Find my AE Scripts here..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved