ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Shadows, blur, and Open GL rendering

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris DetjenShadows, blur, and Open GL rendering
by on May 5, 2010 at 5:17:38 am

I have a complex scene rendering out of Ae. Complex only due to the great number of layers that are casting shadows. I am using Trapcode Echospace to make 100's of layers that replicate. One spot light is casting shadows over the entire scene and motion blur is enabled.

The issue is on rendering with Open GL. The results show glitchy shadows (hard edges, even though diffused in the comp). Also, it doesn't look like motion blur, nor camera depth of field blur is rendering.

I have an image that shows the difference between two renders. One with Open GL, and one without.

I'd like to figure out what is wrong with the Open GL render as it is remarkably fast compared to a 8+ hour estimated render without Open GL. But, as I've learned from searching the forums it seems that Open GL is quite problematic. I just wanted to follow through and see if maybe I've missed something, before I completely avoid OpenGL on rendering.

Any support would be appreciated.

Running Ae CS3 and Trapcode EchoSpace. Mac 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4GB Ram, Radeon X1900 (with Open GL support: version 2.0 ATI-1.5.48).

http://greerftp.com/greervideo/Temp/Render-Issue.jpg

Image:
http://greerftp.com/greervideo/Temp/Render-Issue.jpg

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Shadows, blur, and Open GL rendering
by on May 5, 2010 at 3:48:20 pm

[Chris Detjen] "I'd like to figure out what is wrong with the Open GL render as it is remarkably fast compared to a 8+ hour estimated render without Open GL..."

Sorry, but you're stuck between a rock and a hard place with your system. Open GL acceleration for renders is virtually useless for comps of any kind of complexity... and you've got a complex comp. You'll have to turn it off.

And since you only have 4GB RAM, you can't take advantage of multiprocessing, either.

But that could be why The Good Lord invented sleep. Set up your AE render Queue, save the project, start rendering, go to bed and wake up in the morning with a completed render.

I used to do overnight renders all the time back when 512 MB and 256 mHz was considered a TON of memory and a lightning-fast processor. I didn't have any other choice! Apparently, neither do you.....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris DetjenRe: Shadows, blur, and Open GL rendering
by on May 5, 2010 at 4:19:07 pm

Thank you for the reply. As you said... no Open GL, no multiprocessing, so overnight renders it will have to be.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Shadows, blur, and Open GL rendering
by on May 5, 2010 at 4:49:36 pm

Used to.....

All my quad processors and 16 gigs of RAM have given me is the freedom to make my projects X fold more complex---All that power and I still do a lot of overnight renders.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
http://www.ckandco.net

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Shadows, blur, and Open GL rendering
by on May 5, 2010 at 5:16:02 pm

Most of the time my comps are mouth-breather simple, but every once in a while, overnight renders are still my friend, too.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]