ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Black & White effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt JonesBlack & White effect?
by on May 4, 2010 at 3:35:19 pm

Hey Guys,

Total noob question, I know, but I can't for the life of me seem to figure out how to make a clip black and white. I can't find a simple saturation effect, nothing...any help would be appreciated, thanks!

I'm using CS3, if that makes any difference.

- MJ

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Black & White effect?
by on May 4, 2010 at 4:39:05 pm

There's a Black & White effect in After Effects CS5.

For previous versions, and for less control, there are other effects in the Color Correction effects category. There is a Hue/Saturation effect in that category.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Black & White effect?
by on May 4, 2010 at 7:44:27 pm

Two quick ways to do it are:
The Tint Effect -- it defaults to making things B&W.
The Hue/Saturation effect -- turn the saturation to -100, and you get an image that looks more like it was shot on an old B&W camera, in my opinion... minus nasty things like bloom, which you've probably never even heard of.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Black & White effect?
by on May 10, 2010 at 8:31:50 pm

In addition to the other good responses, you can use the Color Correction > Channel Mixer effect set to 'Monochrome' to change the influence that the R, G and B channels have on your B&W image.

The Red-Red, Red-Green and Red-Blue can, respectively, be used to adjust the influence that your Red, Green and Blue channels have on the final monochromatic image. Something close to 25 - 60 - 15 would be similar to the Tint effect (approx. numbers).

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved