ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

distribute layers evenly

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Engelkemierdistribute layers evenly
by on Apr 30, 2010 at 1:09:38 pm

I hope this is easy because I hate doing math, especially if it's not in frames.

So here's the situation:
I set up a nice text layer at the beginning, I have 6 more (just for instance), then I set up the last one at the proper time. Now I need to evenly distribute them between the first and last layer.

Is there a semi-automatic way of doing that which doesn't involve me doing math? Yes, i can write down the beginning and end frames, do some quick division, then go to +X amound of frames, hit left bracket, next layer and repeat. But that just seems like it should be something that could be automated with a tool that i don't know about.

Is there a tool I don't know about? I have to do this quite a few times on this project.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: distribute layers evenly
by on Apr 30, 2010 at 1:18:17 pm

Do you mean like this?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Andy EngelkemierRe: distribute layers evenly
by on Apr 30, 2010 at 1:35:56 pm

Almost, but I can't quite get that to do what I want. I'll explain further. (but thanks, I did forget about that tool)

I have a layer 3 seconds long placed at zero. I have 6 more layers and the last one I place the in point at 2 seconds.

I want to select those layers and automatically distribute the in points from 0-2 evenly while ignoring the lengths of the layers. Sequence seems to overlap based on the outpoint of the previous layer.

To avoid math, for now, I'm adding a keyframe to a dummy layer at the beginning time, one at the out time, then adding a number of keys in the middle to match the number of layers. Select the keys, hit Rove across time, and it distributes them so I can easy use J and K to jump to the in points.

Return to posts index

Greg RobbinsRe: distribute layers evenly
by on May 2, 2010 at 5:04:53 am

Seems to me that in the amount of time it took to write this all out and wait and get a reply, download the plugin (if there is any) that it would be quicker to just do the math. VFX and motion graphic work is all based on math (even though the computer does most of it for you behind the scenes). Your going to run into issues which require math, so best to know how to do it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved