ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh KramerAfter Effects
by on Apr 29, 2010 at 2:59:21 am

It's about transferring files between computers. When i open a project in the new computer i lose images. Is there a way to recover them? The funny thing is when the laptop is connected to the server there is no problem. It's only when I disconnect and work at home. Help me please.

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: After Effects
by on Apr 29, 2010 at 7:45:25 am

As mentioned in the post just before yours, AE (and just about any other software) will only find files if both the file names and file paths are exactly the same as they were when the project was created.

It is possible to structure multiple drives with exactly the same files at exactly the same file paths so that, as you move an editing project from on one computer to another, everything in the project remains intact. I work that way with three different hard drives (two of which are portable external drives and the third a stationary RAID array). However, that setup is difficult to maintain without using drive-synchronization software.

An alternative method is to use AE's "collect files" function (found in the File menu) to collect all sources used in a particular project into one folder so that you only have one folder to manually copy back and forth between hard drives (i.e., your server and laptop).

With either method, you'll also need to make sure everything else the two computers use within the AE project are also the same ... namely, any fonts and third-party plugins you may use.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved