ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Upgrade to Macbook Pro SSD, running AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob BetheaUpgrade to Macbook Pro SSD, running AE
by on Apr 25, 2010 at 11:25:42 pm

Kind of a Cow newbie, but may want to drop cash on an SSD, and considering my options.

Current gear:
Macbook Pro 2.33, Intel Core 2, 2GB RAM. AE CS4. No longer on warranty.

Most of my workflow is in AE, some Final Cut, running Trapcode plugins, Shine, Particular etc. I work for Ad Agencies, not Broadcast, and I have to bring my gear to the gig often.

Old machine is working fine, but durability and speed are in question at this point--I NEED to be able to rely on my gear, and if I do any HD work, its slowwww.

Are the new SSDs really (significantly)faster, and worth all that extra cash? It's 1300 bucks!

I just want to be sure its worth it.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Upgrade to Macbook Pro SSD, running AE
by on Apr 26, 2010 at 1:21:10 pm

[Rob Bethea] " Current gear: Macbook Pro.... Most of my workflow is in AE, some Final Cut, running Trapcode plugins, Shine, Particular etc. I work for Ad Agencies, not Broadcast, and I have to bring my gear to the gig often... durability and speed are in question at this point--I NEED to be able to rely on my gear, and if I do any HD work, its slowwww. "

I hate to say it, but you're hamstringing yourself by insisting on bringing all your toys to the job.

A laptop simply does not have the slots in it for exotica like AJA Kona cards combined with fast disk arrays, the lack of which will slow down your work. It's only going to get worse as you start encountering more 2K, 3K and 4K files.

Laptops are fine for down 'n dirty rough cuts in standard-definition, but as cameras become more exotic and gain more resolution, you're going to find it tougher and tougher to get any work done on them.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Upgrade to Macbook Pro SSD, running AE
by on Apr 26, 2010 at 4:57:17 pm

You may also find the following thread from the FCP forum useful:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1084490

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rob BetheaRe: Upgrade to Macbook Pro SSD, running AE
by on Apr 26, 2010 at 7:35:36 pm

I freelance, live in NYC (subway commute), and am required to bring a computer to many of the jobs I do. Like I say, I'm not doing broadcast work, mostly stuff for web or boardrooms and conventions. HD is maybe 15% of my workload, and even then the vids are 3min max. Appreciate your input/insight, but I'm trying to decide if the current SSDs on Macbook Pro are worth the extra money.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]