ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Apple ProRes 422 *Please advise*

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Youssef Sarhan
Apple ProRes 422 *Please advise*
on Apr 25, 2010 at 7:45:26 pm

Hey Guys,

Long time reader, first time poster here, so go easy! I'm relatively new to the world of visual effects and motion graphics. I have been learning and teaching myself for a few years but I'm now beginning to take on clients.

I work in AE CS4 and I currently have a client who is asking for the following output for the delivery format.

File: QuickTime .mov
Codec: Apple ProRes 422
Size: Native aspect ratio
Bitrate: Native bitrate
Audio: 48 kHz, Stereo

Could somebody guide me through the steps to achieve this. I hope you guys can help as this is urgent.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: Apple ProRes 422 *Please advise*
on Apr 25, 2010 at 9:37:09 pm

You'll need prores codecs part off FCS

go under edit menu and find output module

customize there.

But info client gave you is incomplete

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Youssef Sarhan
on Apr 25, 2010 at 9:51:27 pm

Hey Richard,

Yeah, I just did some more reading about prores442.. turns out I'll need FCP 6+. I only have 5. Is there a workaround?

As for the info client require, what additional information do I need?

Finally, would h.265 be a recommendable alternative to the apple codec?

Thank you for the reply.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Apr 25, 2010 at 11:51:51 pm

Only workaround us to get client to change

your missing frame size and rate

there us no h.265. Plus that's a delivery not authoring codec

talk client into animation or Apple 10 bit

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Youssef Sarhan
on Apr 26, 2010 at 12:20:57 am

1280 x 720 @ 25fps... The video is only going to be played on LCD displays and computer monitors.

there us no h.265.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. As for authoring, the content is the final process, it is going directly live to web viewing once I transfer it to the client.

I had thought about 'animation' but I was getting insane files sizes (7 gig a minute or something), it wasn't justified considering these files will only be used online and they are only 3-5 minutes long.

I have tried h.264, and now have a file that is almost 2gigs at 4mins 20sec. It looks pretty clean, not much if any artifacts. Could that work?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm learning.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 26, 2010 at 1:30:20 pm

[Youssef Sarhan] "turns out I'll need FCP 6+. I only have 5. Is there a workaround? "

Sorry, there is not. If the Client specifies ProRes 422, that's what you need to deliver.

[Youssef Sarhan] "As for the info client require, what additional information do I need? "

I think you have all the information necessary.

[Youssef Sarhan] "Finally, would h.265 be a recommendable alternative to the apple codec?"

No. It is NOT. With a delivery requirement that specific, you can't expect to substitute codecs just because YOU want to. ProRes 422 is a fine editing codec for Final Cut Pro. H.264 is a horrible editing codec for FCP.

If you want to continue with this job, it seems to me that you'll need to upgrade FCP to get the codec the client specifies. Alternately, you could do your work in a lossless intermediate Quicktime codec like Animation or PNG, and then have some other person with access to the proper codec transcode your work for you.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Youssef Sarhan
on Apr 26, 2010 at 2:51:08 pm

Thank you Dave & Richard, that pretty much answers everything!

I'll have a word with the client. I think I may be able to come to a solution regarding ProRes422.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 26, 2010 at 2:59:23 pm

To maintain maximum image quality with no compression artifacts, I recommend Quicktime's PNG or Animation codecs at best quality. Both are lossless, both also support alpha channels, PNG hax xmaller files sizes for full-screen work, and Animation is best for things like animated lower-thirds.

The client will have to convert them on the edit machine before importing into FCP, but that isn't a real hardship.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Youssef Sarhan
on Apr 26, 2010 at 3:01:19 pm

Ok, and what sort of file size can I expect when using animation. I was getting very very large sizes.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 26, 2010 at 3:05:14 pm

Get used to large file sizes. Get more storage if necessary. If you won't do the FCP upgrade, you have to get more storage to compensate at the very minimum.

The terms "pristine image quality" and "small file size" are almost always mutually exclusive when working in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]