ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

need workflow for complex green screen scene

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Damon Mumaneed workflow for complex green screen scene
by on Apr 24, 2010 at 5:24:13 am

Basic idea is this... I have an interaction between 2 characters but they are played by the same person shot against a greenscreen and I'm going to composite them on the moon, so will have unique backgrounds. I have rear and front shots of both characters, and will need to add some significant effects at a few points. I have captured the footage from a DV camera and it's all a big long mov broken up into subclips by Premiere.
I just am not sure the best way to start to go about putting it together... if i should do most editing in Premiere or in After Effects to make it easy on myself. Hoping you have some advice as people who may have worked with these programs a lot more than I (pretty new to all this).
Thanks! :)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: need workflow for complex green screen scene
by on Apr 24, 2010 at 2:35:59 pm

I'd ask about this on the Premiere forum; I'm personally a Final Cut Pro guy.

Keying DV video is not going to be a day at the beach, especially if the lighting wasn't done properly.

I hope this is for a learning exercise, school project or something similar.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Damon MumaRe: need workflow for complex green screen scene
by on Apr 24, 2010 at 4:03:11 pm

It's for fun and school both (love it when school is fun). I'm not expecting it to look amazing, but hopefully somewhat passable :) I was planning on doing the keying in after effects and thought it would make sense to do most of the positioning as well, which is why I asked here, and because After Effects is what we're expected to be using in the class (I've been teaching myself some premiere because it definitely has its advantages in scenes that don't need any effects work).

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: need workflow for complex green screen scene
by on Apr 24, 2010 at 9:34:26 pm

See this page for some tips about keying, including a link to an animation preset that makes keying DV a little easier:
"Keying overview and resources"

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved