ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

The way to center masks with other masks?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert pukasThe way to center masks with other masks?
by on Apr 23, 2010 at 4:38:17 pm

Is there a way to align mask in center of another mask ? I want to circle mask image and substract its center and rotate it to look like cd. and I cant alignt masks perfectly to be in each others center. How do I do that

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: The way to center masks with other masks?
by on Apr 23, 2010 at 5:02:25 pm

• Create a square solid in SQUARE PIXELS. Square pixels are important here.
  • Double-click on the solid to put it in its own footage window.
  • Double-click on the Elliptical Mask tool to create a perfect circle mask.
  • In the timeline, duplicate the mask you just made, Command-d (mac), and set the original mask's mode to OFF
  • In the timeline, highlight the newly-duplicated mask. Click on the color swatch next to the mask and change the mask's color to something that will contrast with the original mask color for ease of identification, and highlight the mask again if necessary to see all the new mask's vertices in the footage window
  • Move to the footage window and double-click on the new mask. A bounding box appears, indicating you've entered the Free Trnsform mode: here's the straight skinny on Free Transform:
  • Notice how the cursor changes as you move around the bounding box. Find the angled-arrow cursor near the box's corners.
  • Now you will re-size the mask AND keep it centered with a combination drag-keystroke: command-shift-drag (mac). Resize to taste.
  • Double click on the mask to exit Free Tansform. Close the footage window.
  • In the timeline, play with the mask modes until you get a circle with a hole in it. Here's the poop on mask modes:

Knock yourself out animatin' CD's.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved