ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE Clipping Whites at 100

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry Sneede
AE Clipping Whites at 100
on Apr 23, 2010 at 12:01:24 am

I've done some research and found others with this problem, but no solution. When bringing in footage that is hot, say at 110 IRE (I'm using Prores), AE is clipping at 100 upon import. Even if I lower the brightness with say hue/sat, that flat line of the clipping is still there (only lower on the waveform).

The only solution I can think of is to color correct each clip in FCP, export it, then import that in to AE. It would be much nicer though if I could do the CC in AE though. Is there a way to stop AE from doing this?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: AE Clipping Whites at 100
on Apr 23, 2010 at 1:55:29 pm

I have never, EVER heard of AE clipping video levels. The app works not just with video, but DPX and Cineon files from film transfers, still photos, what have you... so there isn't any kind of Proc Amp function that takes place automatically.

What kind of hardware do you have on your machine that might do such at thing? Got an AJA card, for example? The AJA Adobe plugins have ben known to give AE fits, and a simple uninstall fixes a lot of issues.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jerry Sneede
on Apr 23, 2010 at 1:58:33 pm

I'm using the AJA Lh/e. Googling "clipping whites" and after effects, I've read several people with the same issue.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 23, 2010 at 2:14:51 pm

[Jerry Sneede] "I've read several people with the same issue."

...and I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn they have AJA hardware, and that they have AJA's Adobe plugins installed.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Apr 23, 2010 at 3:32:56 pm

We had problems here with AJA and After Effects too. We use AJA with Premiere just fine, but we've removed the AJA AE stuff.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Jerry Sneede
on Apr 23, 2010 at 3:43:23 pm

So how do I remove the AJA AE stuff and keep AJA intact for FCP? And if I do remove it, how will I monitor AE on the external monitor?

Return to posts index

Jerry Sneede
on Apr 23, 2010 at 3:45:47 pm

Also, I just modified a couple files per these sites:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2009/12/prores-4444-colors-and-gamma-s.h.....

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2009/03/prores-422-colors-in-after-eff.h.....

to set the color management as prescribed by a link just a little further down (suggested by Todd Kopriva of adobe)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 23, 2010 at 8:22:24 pm

[Jerry Sneede] "...suggested by Todd Kopriva of adobe..."

If Todd says it, you can take it to the bank and you can ignore me.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 23, 2010 at 5:04:58 pm

Sorry, no clue. My AJA stuff works just fine, so I've never had to deal with the problem. I simply know it exists.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]