ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

how much ram do we need for real-time ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
firat paskal
how much ram do we need for real-time ?
on Apr 18, 2010 at 1:14:07 pm

Hello !

My question is about the speed of after effects software. I have a laptop working with 3 gb ram, vista 32 bit and intel dual cpu t3400 @2.16ghz

I already know you can't play project in real-time , in after effects. But, most of the professional tv stations use AE to make some promos, vtrs, ..rtc.. and they have limited times while doing that. So we should not hope them to take it slow like we generally do as homeusers. Meanwhile, to get it done quickly, i believe you should have a cool cpu, and lots of rams. My question is " how much ram do we need to play our project in real-time in AE so that we can finish it quick ? "

My main problems with AE are low-speed rendering and preview.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: how much ram do we need for real-time ?
on Apr 18, 2010 at 3:17:34 pm

After Effects isn't a real-time system like an NLE. You will not be able to guarantee real-time generation of previews for all compositions.

That said, you can do several things to make previews render faster, and you can do several things to make RAM previews longer. (See "Improve performance", including the comments.) RAM previews play back at real-time speed after they've been generated.

If you're running a 32-bit operating system, as you say you are, then the first thing that I need to recommend is that you use a 64-bit operating system. A 32-bit operating system can't even see and use more than 4GB of RAM, so there's no way that a program like After Effects running on such a system could see and use more than 4GB of RAM.

Once you get a 64-bit operating system, then install a few (2-3) gigabytes (GB) of RAM for each processor core in the computer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Apr 18, 2010 at 3:20:34 pm

BTW, After Effects CS5 is much faster, and RAM previews are much longer. So one solution is to upgrade to After Effects CS5.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Apr 18, 2010 at 10:49:42 pm

2000 GB

IN all seriousness... Todd's right on.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]