ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Alpha Matte in Junk Mattes Tutorial

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stan HealyAlpha Matte in Junk Mattes Tutorial
by on Apr 9, 2010 at 2:30:25 am

I watched Aharon Rabinowitz's tutorial Super-Tight Junk Mattes ( This is a great video, but I was stumped towards the end of it. Aharon says, "In the track matte controls, in the video footage from the pull down, choose 'Alpha Matte'."

Here's the issue. Aharon is demoing with AE for Windows. I own AE CS4 for Mac. For the life of me, I can't find this selection within the pulldown menu that Aharon seems to be selecting from, and I am not sure how to populate this list with "Alpha Matte". I've googled, read AE help and checked forums but can't seem to account for the absence of "Alpha Matte" in the drop down other than the Windows/Mac various mentioned above. I quickly concede that I am a beginner at AE, but I am confident that I have performed all of the earlier steps correctly. Does anyone have advice for me?

Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Alpha Matte in Junk Mattes Tutorial
by on Apr 9, 2010 at 1:24:28 pm

What options do you see in the drop down?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Alpha Matte in Junk Mattes Tutorial
by on Apr 9, 2010 at 1:34:57 pm

I bet you simply don't have the column displayed. Right-click on the top of the timeline where it says "layer name" or something like that, and navigate through the show columns command to find the "layers/modes" column, or whatever they call it. The important word to look for is "modes".

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Stan HealyRe: Alpha Matte in Junk Mattes Tutorial
by on Apr 10, 2010 at 12:14:48 am

That was the ticket! Thank you, Dave. I feel my sanity being restored as I write this. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved