ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How do I let Adobe After Effects CS4 use more RAM for rendering?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris BedardHow do I let Adobe After Effects CS4 use more RAM for rendering?
by on Apr 8, 2010 at 3:43:59 pm

I am currently rendering a composition and at the bottom it tells me it's only using 15% of my 4GB of RAM. I previously rendered this same composition with the same settings and it said 60% of 4GB was being used. Also, last time it took me approximately 12 hours to render the comp, while this time it's telling me it's going to take 41 hours. Can someone please help?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How do I let Adobe After Effects CS4 use more RAM for rendering?
by on Apr 8, 2010 at 4:30:10 pm

[Chris Bedard] "...it tells me it's only using 15% of my 4GB of RAM..."

That's misleading. Forget about it. But know this: you're REALLY light on RAM. You should get more, if your system can use it.

[Chris Bedard] "...last time it took me approximately 12 hours to render the comp, while this time it's telling me it's going to take 41 hours..../"

Well, if we knew something about your comp, we just might be able to offer some advice to speed things up. But lacking that knowledge, here are the standard, common causes for slowdowns and weirdness that have been covered umpteen times in this forum, and which are readily available to anyone who takes five minutes to read other threads:
  • Got the free upgrade to AE 9.0.2? Get it.
  • Using Open GL Acceleration for rendering? Don't.
  • Trying to use multiprocessing? Don't -- you don't have anywhere near enough RAM to use it.
  • And my personal favorite... what kind of video are you using in your comp? Read on:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Frank RyderRe: How do I let Adobe After Effects CS4 use more RAM for rendering?
by on Mar 30, 2012 at 3:57:10 am

"You need to convert it to a different codec". Thanks for the information, Dave. Which codec would you recommend as a viable and efficient option for rendering in AE. Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]