ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

retouching moving subject with stamp tool

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Conditretouching moving subject with stamp tool
by on Apr 7, 2010 at 12:38:09 am

I am now in hour 18 of trying to find a tutorial that will show me how to retouch a moving subject using the stamp tool in After Effects. I painted several black dots on an actress to simplify tracking her for adding an effect, but have been unable to retouch out the darned dots. Is it really brain surgery or am I going about the task in all wrong?

Thanks for any and all help.
-Phil

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: retouching moving subject with stamp tool
by on Apr 7, 2010 at 5:00:33 am

Track a dot. Use your favorite way (copying and pasting keyframes, the expression pickwhip, or whatever) to connect the position information from the track point to the transform properties for the Clone Stamp stroke.

I've attached an image that shows the relevant part of my composition. I cloned a piece of the background to remove Mike's left horn, and then I used the expression pickwhip to connect the Clone Stamp path to the motion tracking data. There are many ways to skin this cat, but the core thing to know is that paint strokes (including Clone Stamp strokes) have transform properties, and you can apply motion tracking data to them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Phil ConditRe: retouching moving subject with stamp tool
by on Apr 7, 2010 at 7:24:03 pm

Hi Todd,

Thanks for your response. I guess I'm a little further back on the learning curve than you expected. I'm having trouble connecting my tracking data to the clone strokes (I have six - nine dots to retouch). I can't open up the expressions options you show in your example. Also, I wanted the clone tool to resample from the spot I selected on each frame, so that when my subject passes through a shadow, the samples would darken as well. Is this possible?

I will look for a lesson on assigning tracking data to my clone stamp.

Thanks,
-Phil

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: retouching moving subject with stamp tool
by on Apr 7, 2010 at 8:00:13 pm

I recommend starting here.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Phil ConditRe: retouching moving subject with stamp tool
by on Apr 7, 2010 at 11:32:02 pm

Hi Todd,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have already been pouring over the Lynda.com tutorials on After Effects. I am just not finding how to sample from one spot on a subject to another spot on a subject continuously resampling as the subject moves on the timeline. I have the tracking completed, but when I try to connect the tracking data to the position of the paint stroke with a whipstick, the data does not effect the position and the clone stamp does not update with each frame. Maybe I was right - This IS brain surgery!

Thanks,
-Phil

Return to posts index

Cameron O'RourkeRe: retouching moving subject with stamp tool
by on Aug 14, 2010 at 3:36:53 pm

I'm in the same boat. I have a piece of footage with a crash zoom, and I want to clone certain areas that eventually wind up off-screen.

So far, I can track the original footage to get the position and scale changes and apply the tracking data to a shape later. I set the anchor point of the shape later so that it lines up with the footage. I can then parent my layer with the clones to the shape layer, and the clones now reposition and scale correctly.

But what I'm not able to figure out is how to expression the clone position so that the clone source point travels to match the crash zoom.

Cheers,
Cameron

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]