ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Image buffer error - advice on one specific technique?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Janne LaihoImage buffer error - advice on one specific technique?
by on Apr 2, 2010 at 7:29:50 am

I'm very new to AE (and visual design in general, I come from a sound design background), so please bear with me as I'm asking very basic stuff. The problem is an image buffer error when rendering. This has been widely discussed in various forums, and one specific technique seems promising, but I don't know how to do that in Photoshop + AE CS4: -> Chop Up Your Sources. Jonas who wrote that post seems to get quite impressive things done with modest hardware, so I guess this technique could be one that would potentially solve most image buffer problems.

I would very greatly appreciate it if somebody took the time to explain exactly how to do the chopping up of source images with Photoshop and AE CS4, and how to use the chopped up image in AE to overcome the image buffer error when rendering.

About the project and hardware:

I have a project where I zoom in on a large image, (the image is a layer): the camera is hovering over the image and moving towards the corner, looking at the corner (i.e. zooming the image to the extreme). When rendering the project, once it gets to the point where the camera is near the corner of the image I get the error message: invalid image buffer size 48630x41351 (37 :: 102). I have objects hovering over the image with shadows reflected on it, so rendering the image and objects separately (and stacking them afterwards somehow) is not an option, as I'd lose the shadows.

Hardware is 2.8 Ghz Inter Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro (snow leopard), with 4 GB of RAM.

Also, a basic question: does the resolution (size) of the source image in a composition matter? The image that is causing problems is much larger than what I'd need: I imported it and resized in AE. Should I perhaps convert the image outside AE first to a smaller resolution (I actually tried that but in this specific project it didn't help)?

Thanks a lot.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Image buffer error - advice on one specific technique?
by on Apr 3, 2010 at 4:07:46 am

You could ask Jonas, the person whose website you refer to. I'm sure that he'd be happy to answer questions about his techniques.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved