ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Camera move is doing "curly shuffle?"

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gino GuarnereCamera move is doing "curly shuffle?"
by on Mar 30, 2010 at 8:52:53 pm


It's been awhile, but I'm back to AE in earnest. I used to have this problem from time to time, and I really just need to understand it because it's quite maddening...

I am doing a camera move in a straight line, zooming up to some text (10 frames) and then I slow down and let the text fill the frame for 20 frames, and then zip to the next text (10 frames).

My camera, however, in some cases, zooms up, and then does a little "reverse" motion and then begins its forward motion once again. It's like a little hiccup in the motion. I cannot find a keyframe anywhere backing the camera up. It's ever-so-slight. I'm not using a null, but it happens when I do as well.

I know this is a "duh" question so I appreciate your response in advance!


Gino Guarnere

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Camera move is doing "curly shuffle?"
by on Mar 30, 2010 at 9:38:07 pm

You've got two identical keyframes, one where the camera stops, and one where it starts again. Highlight the FIRST keyframe and use the Toggle Hold Keyframe command. Then RAM Preview with satisfaction.

Hold keyframes: a great thing to have in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gino GuarnereRe: Camera move is doing "curly shuffle?"
by on Mar 30, 2010 at 10:19:57 pm

Hi Dave,

That certainly gets me closer! The only thing now is that every time I hit that toggle/hold keyframe, the motion stops completely. I kind of want to zoom up fast, then slow the motion, then speed it up again without any break.

This is great though, and will certainly help me in other animation.

Could you advise on keeping the motion continuous?

Thank you!


Gino Guarnere

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Camera move is doing "curly shuffle?"
by on Mar 31, 2010 at 12:30:02 am

The slang for what you're seeing is "boomerang motion". See this page and the resources that it points to for an explanation and solution.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 All Rights Reserved