ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Optimum Preference Settings in AE CS4

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fergus WalshOptimum Preference Settings in AE CS4
by on Mar 27, 2010 at 3:11:53 am

Hi
I'm relatively new to AE and have a movie project which I'm using to further my knowledge. I've started preliminary editing on a new Mac and the performance is not as I'd expected. I'm encountering many stalls and crashes such as:

painfully slow preview times when viewing anything with more than 2 or 3 layers plus a few basic effects (mask, blur, keylight etc)
"spinning wheel of death" when clicking on the project tab or moving the cursor quickly in the footage tab
"keylight out of memory"
"crash occurred while invoking rendering plug-in "AE-Open GL""

I shot in HDV at 23.976 frames per second.
The Mac specs are:
Processor: 2x2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory: 32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3

So my question is...what are the optimum preference settings I should be using for Previews, Media and Disk Cache, Memory and Multi-Processing, Secret etc etc
Also, are there any tips any of you more experienced users could offer for optimizing my workflow?

Thanks in advance
Fergus

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Optimum Preference Settings in AE CS4
by on Mar 27, 2010 at 4:05:47 am

- Update to After Effects CS4 (9.0.2).
- Read this and this and everything that they point to (especially this).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Fergus WalshRe: Optimum Preference Settings in AE CS4
by on Mar 28, 2010 at 3:59:54 pm

Thanks Todd.

Return to posts index

Gary MilliganRe: Optimum Preference Settings in AE CS4
by on Mar 28, 2010 at 2:21:42 pm

[Fergus Walsh] "I've started preliminary editing on a new Mac and the performance is not as I'd expected."

Are you trying to use After Effects as an editing tool? This is not what it is designed to do - it is more commonly used to apply effects to clips or short sequences which then get incorporated into your edit timeline.

Gary

This is me - this is what I do - http://web.mac.com/garymmw

Return to posts index

Fergus WalshRe: Optimum Preference Settings in AE CS4
by on Mar 28, 2010 at 3:59:11 pm

No I shot individual puppet clips against green screen and am using AE to composite onto a miniature landscape.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]