ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Color Correction FCP/After Effects Roundtripping

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris YaskoColor Correction FCP/After Effects Roundtripping
by on Mar 26, 2010 at 1:19:55 am

In the past I've done color correction in Final Cut but I'm starting to realize After Effects might be a much better program for this (I'm sure that's a different discussion completely).

My question is: is there a way to output my timeline and open it in After Effects to easily correct individual shots in the edit?

In other words, the After Effects timeline would have all the same layers/cuts as the FCP timeline I output from? Otherwise the only way I can think to do this would be output a quicktime from Final Cut and the split the layer where all the cuts are.

There used to be something called Automatic Duck that seems to be what I'm talking about but from looking around on the net it appears to be outdated.

Thanks for all your help.

Return to posts index

Andy GeorgeRe: Color Correction FCP/After Effects Roundtripping
by on Mar 26, 2010 at 2:41:11 am

Hi Chris,

Although I have never used it before I have been told that automatic duck is a great product for this.
I just checked there site and it looks like they are updated for CS4 so not sure what you are seeing to think it's outdated.

Boris also has a new tool called Boris XML I believe. Again I have never used it before.

Personally, I use this free script by Popcorn Island.
You can find it and tutorials for it here

It does not have all the bells and whistles that the other two products have, but I have found it to be robust enough to meet my needs.

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: Color Correction FCP/After Effects Roundtripping
by on Mar 26, 2010 at 5:42:17 am

I use AE Extensively, but it's generally not my first choice for color correction. Not that it doesn't have great tools for that. Color Finesse is a fantastic plugin, with an expansive feature set; and if I worked exclusively in CS4 it would be my first choice.

But like you, I edit primarily, well, exclusively in FCP. Its 3 way color corrector is top notch. But beyond that, the FCS suite, I'm sure you know, is bundled with Color, the sole purpose of which is advanced color correction. It's feature set is vast, and rivaled only by proprietary systems like Da Vinci. And it works in the way you described, allowing you to import your timeline intact.

So before investing in a product like Automatic Duck, why not investigate more deeply what you already have at your disposal.
You paid for it - might as well get your money's worth:)

Return to posts index

Chris YaskoRe: Color Correction FCP/After Effects Roundtripping
by on Mar 26, 2010 at 3:57:33 pm

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to try popcorn. Also I realize that is what color is for but at this point I'm much more comfortable in AFX but I do want to migrate to color eventually.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved