ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Lengthening layers in the middle of a comp and rippling time of everything after

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike WelkerLengthening layers in the middle of a comp and rippling time of everything after
by on Mar 24, 2010 at 2:34:36 pm

I'm relatively new to the AE world, and I'm hoping to get some insight into adjusting the length of layers in the middle of a comp and getting the remaining layers that fall after that to ripple down in time. I'm hoping that it's easier than simply highlighting all the layers after the extended piece, and just dragging them down manually. Is it?

I did some searching around but wasn't able to find anything specific to this, but even a link to an existing post would be most helpful.

I'm working in AE9, and as the title says, I have some elements in the middle that I need to extend in duration, and I want everything following to push ahead in time so those lengths remain the same, but the overall comp length will extend.

Clear as mud?

Many thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Lengthening layers in the middle of a comp and rippling time of everything after
by on Mar 24, 2010 at 3:31:18 pm

• Go to your comp settings and make the comp's duration longer.
  • Extend the out point of the layer in question. Don't know how? Search in AE's online help using the term "trim layer". You need to get used to using AE Help.
  • Move the timeline cursor to the out point of the extended layer, plus one more frame.
  • Select the layers you need to move.
  • Shift-drag the layers. They all move together and maintain their position to one another. Snap the in point of the layer to the cursor position.

Done.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mike WelkerRe: Lengthening layers in the middle of a comp and rippling time of everything after
by on Mar 24, 2010 at 4:14:24 pm

Many thanks, Dave. This is very much the same way it would be done in Motion. The issue with my particular comp is that there are quite a number of layers, and I also don't know exactly how long I want to extend the layer(s) in the middle, so that means extending, followed by highlighting and moving, followed by extending, followed my more highlighting and moving, etc, etc.

As an example, there's an awesome single key command in Pro Tools -Shift+Option+Return- which will highlight every region on every track (every layer) that falls after the timeline cursor. I was hoping for something as luxurious in AE :)

Mike

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Lengthening layers in the middle of a comp and rippling time of everything after
by on Mar 24, 2010 at 5:19:26 pm

[Mike Welker] "....I also don't know exactly how long I want to extend the layer(s) in the middle...."

Well, that's something you need to get settled.

Neither Motion nor After Effects are worth a spit when it comes to editing, and when you start fooling with layer durations, that's just what you're doing.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]