ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Rendering in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Logan BrownRendering in After Effects
by on Mar 22, 2010 at 7:05:08 pm

I am new to after effects and i'm just trying out a few animations that I have created.. they work perfectly and everything but when I render in Quick time it takes hours..

for instance it took 7 hours to render a 13 second animation.. but only in quick time.. all other file times take no time at all.

here is a screen shot of all my settings..
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

if the picture is too small here is the url:

Thanks! and Please help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rendering in After Effects
by on Mar 22, 2010 at 7:24:37 pm

The things we DON'T see in that screen grab are whether you're using Open GL (don't), you have the AE 9.02 upgrade (free), or are using multiprocessing, which you probably shouldn't since you have just 7GB. Perhaps you should read this: .... and this:

We DO see that you've got AMD processors, which aren't necessarily the best for AE work. Sorry.

We also see that you're trying to make an H.264 file:

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Logan BrownRe: Rendering in After Effects
by on Mar 22, 2010 at 8:02:23 pm

Where can I find the Open GL settings? I have not messed with them so whatever the default setting is, that is what the setting should be set on.

are there any tips that you can give me for the rendering in after effects? I can use the adobe encoder software for the final render, but like I said i'm new to after effects and had no idea it wasn't optimal.

Thank you very much for your time!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rendering in After Effects
by on Mar 22, 2010 at 8:28:44 pm

[Logan Brown] "Where can I find the Open GL settings?"

I'm pretty sure they're in Preferences, but you can double-check that in AE's online help. Just use the search field in the upper right and type in Open GL.

It also just dawned on me that your footage could be giving you fits, too:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Logan BrownRe: Rendering in After Effects
by on Mar 22, 2010 at 10:44:13 pm

None of the video has been imported, I created it in after effects so that shouldn't be the problem.

I did find the open gl option, which is on by default. It has sped up the rendering a lot.. it only took about 45 minutes to render 7 seconds of animation.

I have two more questions however,

1.) I'm just a little curious about what open gl is/does?

2.) when I render in quick time the progress bar completes in fifths. The current frame rendering in the top left hand also completes 5 times. (once the counter reaches "Frame: 200/200" it will reset to "Frame: 1/200" and continue counting up to 200 until it has been completed 5 times.)

Thank you very much for your help once again!

Return to posts index

Jason FinniganRe: Rendering in After Effects
by on Apr 19, 2010 at 4:35:58 am

1) - open GL is an api language to talk to gfx cards, providing accleration etc. similar to directx but faster and cross platform

2) I haven't used after effect in a while, but I would assume it's because you have it set some to do 5 passes, it will go through and render it 5 times then compare and do some other things to get the best image possible, similarly to how when you compress a video you normally don't only do one pass as theres likely to be a computational error which may show in the video

hope this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved