ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Prolems playing back quicktime (.mov)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart SamuelsProlems playing back quicktime (.mov)
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 1:37:43 pm

Ive been sent a quicktime file (.mov) by a friend as hes asked me to do a bit of AE work on it for him but I cant get it to play back in the program for some reason. Ive got the latest version of quicktime but i can only seem to play the audio in anything other than VLC media player (which will play video and audio).
I guessed its something to do with a missing codec so i downloaded the K-lite codec pack but with no luck.

Could someone offer me any advice cos im getting to the tearing my hair out stage!
If it helps, im working on a PC while my friend is on a Mac.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Prolems playing back quicktime (.mov)
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 3:45:33 pm

Do you have the free ProRes reader for the windows version of quicktime? Methinks not. You'll be able to SEE the video, but you won't be able to RENDER in the codec your friend used.

Don't you just love it when Apple and Microsoft play nice together? Here's a link to a link:
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/1056480

If that fails, have your friend export the files in the Quicktime's PNG codec: it's lossless. You'll have to RENDER (don't export) out of AE in that codec anyway.

And get used to the big file sizes.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Stuart SamuelsRe: Prolems playing back quicktime (.mov)
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 4:39:59 pm

I tried installing the prores reader but a message popped up saying ive already got it, ha. I guess ill just have to wait and see if the PNG version works. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Prolems playing back quicktime (.mov)
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 5:13:10 pm

Your buddy probably has FCP7, which contains codecs available ONLY to those who also have FCP7. PNG will work... and it's lossless.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]