ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Workflow to export for FCP 16:9 Anamorphic project

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jennifer AraniWorkflow to export for FCP 16:9 Anamorphic project
by on Mar 12, 2010 at 6:04:52 pm

I use AE more than Motion for all my motion graphics. I had shot a 16:9 anamorphic with my XL2 and will be mixing my AE graphics with the footage in FCP. I don't have a proper workflow as I have not worked with anamorphic before this. I mistakenly set up all my comps for 960X540. Now that I have my FCP sequence set up properly my comps from AE are no good. I will have to redo them, right?
So here is my question:

What should the comp settings be to eventually be used in a FCP 16:9 anamorphic sequence?

What is the best Output settings?
Animation (to maintain transparency) is a must but past that......

Please any help would be welcome.

Jennifer Arani

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Workflow to export for FCP 16:9 Anamorphic project
by on Mar 12, 2010 at 8:19:28 pm

[Jennifer Arani] "I will have to redo them, right?"

Nope. Just nest them in the kind of comp you should have used in the first place, an NTSC DV Widescreen comp. Then scale the layer to fit the comp.

Try dragging one of your DV clips onto the Make Comp icon at the bottom of the project window. See what happens!

Quicktime's PNG codec ALSO makes alpha channels. Bet you didn't know that.

And because the DV codec treats carefully-crafted AE motion graphics the way a baby treats a diaper, I would render (don't export!) in ProRes 422... which is the kind of edit timeline I would use in FCP, too.

If you used interlaced DV video in AE, don't forget to interpret it and render it lower field first.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved