ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

vegas effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Susan Cox
vegas effect
on Mar 10, 2010 at 6:07:28 am

I'm trying to use the vegas effect to create chasing lights around a marquee. My problem is that it works on the top of the square but when it gets to the side and the bottom it starts to jump around it's not following the square.

Any suggextions?

thanks,

Susan

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: vegas effect
on Mar 10, 2010 at 1:56:53 pm

How is this square created?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Susan Cox
on Mar 10, 2010 at 4:07:51 pm

I've tried 3 different ways.

I created gradient circles in illustrator and imported into ae as an object.

I added a solid and applied the stroke effect to a mask and then vegas.

And then I created a solid with a mask and applied the vegas effect.

I've been trying to use the image contours and animate the selected contours but at when it gets to the left side it starts jumping from left to right.

I know I'm doing something wrong but I'm not sure what...should i be using the mask and animating the segment rotation, it seems to be more of the feel of what I'm trying to achieve but looks too soft.

Cheers,

Susan

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 10, 2010 at 10:38:15 pm

You can adjust the settings in Vegas so it's not so soft. Also, I would use the mask, rather than the image contours.

Remember, there is an animation preset in AE for Marquee chasers. Just create your shape layer and apply the animation preset.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 10, 2010 at 10:39:11 pm

Also, here's a custom search that has a bunch of useful stuff.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Susan Cox
on Mar 11, 2010 at 4:00:12 pm

Hi Michael,

Thanks for all your good advice. I'm working in an office that hasn't upgraded to CS4, but I did look at the preset at home and it does exactly what I want it to do.

Here at the office I'm working on the vegas effect, my feeling is that a combo of both is going to give me the effect I'm looking for.

Do you think the expression that was used for the cs4 preset will work in CS3? I just tried it, but I wasn't able to get it to work, saying that I looked at it quickly this morning before I left, I could have missed something.

Cheers,

Susan

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 11, 2010 at 4:08:46 pm

I'm sorry; I've never used CS3. I went from AE7 to CS4. So I'm not sure what sort of controls there were for shape layers in CS3. However, I do know that there's nothing wrong with that expression; I think it'd even work in version 7. There must be Effect>Expression Controls>Slider applied to your shape layer first though.
It's just there to be an easy way to adjust the speed of the lights. You just change the slider and the speed shifts.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Susan Cox
on Mar 11, 2010 at 4:41:57 pm

Hey Michael,

I created a shape and applied the slider control effect and changed the default from 0 to 10.

In the shapes offset (under stroke) I applies the expression:

time * effect("(Slider Control)")(1) * 10

I've been getting a message telling me that I have a bad argument on line one.

Any ideas, and thank you for all your help.

Susan

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 11, 2010 at 7:49:12 pm

Perhaps CS3 doesn't handle the time part of the expression? I'm no expressions guru. How did you write the expression? Did you do it by writing time * them pickwhipping to the slider effect?

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Susan Cox
on Mar 11, 2010 at 7:57:44 pm

Yes,

That's what I did, still not working though. Anyway, I managed to get it working by setting keyframes.

Thanks for all your help.

Cheers,

Susan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]