ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects rendering errors (color bars)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tijmen Kuipers
After Effects rendering errors (color bars)
on Mar 9, 2010 at 9:58:13 am

When I render footage from AE I suddenly get some color bars into my footage:
http://www.dontblink.nl/ae-ding.jpg (in 25sec footage I rendered, 5 or 6 times this images flashes)

I doesn't matter I render it to an AVI or an Quicktime or an WMV with different settings, all my renders are suddenly filled with color bars.

In the composition everything works fine, but when I go to the render queue and I render my end result is a video with irritating color bars in it.

The strange thing is, when I select "save as an quicktime file", when I dont use the render queue, everything is fine.

For all my projects, I first use > import > adobe premiere project file
Then I do my thing in AE, but even with no effects or cuts, still the color bars pop up in my end result.

So can anybody help me?

Greetings,

Tijmen

ps. I use CS4 premiere and After effects

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: After Effects rendering errors (color bars)
on Mar 9, 2010 at 3:41:55 pm

There are two common causes for such problems, and they're easy to check.

Are you using Open GL when rendering? Don't. It's fine when previewing but generally bad for rendering, so turn it off for rendering.

It could also be the footage you used in your project:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tijmen Kuipers
on Mar 10, 2010 at 12:54:48 pm

Open GL rendering is off,

My footage is caputered in Premiere so it is MPEG-2 HDV 1440x1080, I think its insane that I must convert my footage to another compression or uncompressed file before I can export it in After Effect.

On two other computers, there is no problem with rendering from files with captured mpeg2 files from premiere. And two weeks ago After Effect doesn't had any problems with rendering my MPEG2 HDV files. So I don't understand it.

The only thing I recently changed is upgrading my videocard drivers.

But I will try converting my clips, i will get back here :) Thanks for helping me.

Greetings,

Tijmen

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 10, 2010 at 5:11:40 pm

[Tijmen Kuipers] "I think its insane that I must convert my footage to another compression... two weeks ago After Effect doesn't had any problems with rendering my MPEG2 HDV files..."

Consider yourself lucky that it worked at ALL. It typically doesn't.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brandt Horrocks
on Oct 1, 2012 at 11:34:08 am

I haven't had issues with files like those. When I had this problem, it was a .mov file (which is a container for some other codec anyway).

This problem can also happen when after effects misplaced your footage (or you moved it and it got confused).

In the middle of a project, I reorganized some of my stock footage, the main premiere project was not showing the bars, because a preview had already been rendered, but when I did a full export, the bars showed. After replacing my footage by redirecting the correct location, it worked just fine.

Return to posts index

Diana Brown
on Dec 26, 2013 at 2:42:07 pm

Brandt, I'm having color bars problems with .mov files before export. The footage is color bars even in the timeline. How did you fix your problems with .mov?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]