ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects outputting to a dvd

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
charles moeller
After Effects outputting to a dvd
on Mar 2, 2010 at 1:38:54 pm

Hi there,
ive recentally finished creating my folio and have started using After Effects as my edit suite but when i render the quick time movie out it plays smooth and fine on my desktop but becomes scratchy, skipping and freezes when i put it on a dvd. i put this down to a compression problem and was told by lecturer to use a H.264 compressor with a 8000 kb/s rato but all this has done is make me lose quality and still have the same issue of it freezing up. how or what would i use to fix this problem so it moves more smoothly?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: After Effects outputting to a dvd
on Mar 2, 2010 at 3:42:43 pm

it sounds like you are burning a data dvd... i would take the file and use a dvd authoring tool to convert the file and burn it as a playable dvd (ie, it'll play on a dvd player or computer). data dvd playback will be dependent on the speed of the dvd drive, which varies from computer to computer. a playable dvd will comply with data rate standards and playback correctly anywhere.

a simple dvd authoring utility probably came with your computer, you just need to find out what type of original file type(s) it will take (.avi, .mov, .dv, etc). i would plan on rendering the highest quality possible from ae (lossless or uncompressed) then let the utility handle the compression to mpeg-2.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

charles moeller
on Mar 3, 2010 at 3:36:54 am

Thanks for your reply. I am using a data dvd to burn with. What i don't understand is if i output to quicktime without using any compression it becomes the same scenario with skipping and jumping. By using a dvd authoring tool, how do i use or find that?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Mar 3, 2010 at 1:59:50 pm

I'm a little confused about what you are trying to accomplish. Are you trying to create a regular DVD that plays in a set top player-or just put your files on a Data DVD, so someone can open up your files, animations, graphics...and play them? If you just want to create a regular DVD, then use AE's Mpeg2-DVD output.

What i don't understand is if i output to quicktime without using any compression it becomes the same scenario with skipping and jumping. By using a dvd authoring tool, how do i use or find that?

This is happening because when you play a large file like a quicktime anmination(uncompressed) off your DVD drive you are moving a lot of information from the drive to RAM/CPU. It will hardly ever play smooth. You need a file that is compressed for playback from a DVD, like a mpeg2.

Really if you are using this for your folio, you want something that is easy to play and plays smoothly. Potential employers are not going to be impressed if there are playback problems. I've had to watch hundreds of demo reels and if I got one that stopped and started I'm not going to finish watching it.

Really, you would be better off creating a DVD for settop play-that will also play in a computer. Using AE's preset(crank up the bitrate to 5K target, 8K max. Then use a DVD authoring program like Encore and you'll be covered. Not every future employer is going to put the DVD in thier computer, if they put it in a set top a Data DVD won't play and your work is going to be tossed in the trash.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
http://www.ckandco.net

Return to posts index

charles moeller
on Mar 5, 2010 at 3:24:55 am

Basically im using the quicktime file to be put on to a computer and read off there, not off a set top dvd player. i tried compressing the file with H.264 and a kb/s speed of 8000 but it just lost quality. so initally all i would like help with is making it run smoothly when i burn it on to a dvd so when the lecturer puts it onto his computer and sees it there it all looks fine. with the dvd authoring is that only to do with the settop dvd player? because i just need help with finding a soloution in putting it on to a computer without it becoming scratchy. I apreciate your help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 5, 2010 at 3:33:34 pm

[charles moeller] " i tried compressing the file with H.264 and a kb/s speed of 8000 but it just lost quality."

I'm not surprised. AE doesn't compress to H.264 very well at all -- it can't do multipass compression, which really improves the look.

So render out a high-quality file from AE -- something lossless -- and use a DIFFERENT application to convert to H.264. Quicktime Pro, Adobe Media Encoder, Apple's Compressor, Sorenson Squeeze... they can all do it better than AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 3, 2010 at 3:17:16 pm

What will be your end product? Will it be a Data DVD, which is simply another way to store files of any kind, or will it be an authored DVD, which is the only kind that will play in a DVD player?

For the second kind, you need DVD authoring software like Adobe Encore or Apple's DVD Studio Pro... there are many others as well. If you don't have this software, you need to get it.

Simply google DVD Authoring Software.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]