ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Unbelievable memory duming!!!Help required.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sergey KhromykhUnbelievable memory duming!!!Help required.
by on Mar 2, 2010 at 7:28:16 am

Hi every body.Since not so long ago I used to have a problem with After Effects.I have Dual Core 2.33Ghz and 4 gigs Ram.The problem occurs when I try to render an output file.For the first several minutes of rendering AE shows about 15% of RAM is used.Then it begins to slightly increase it.After all AE shows that 119% is used and shut down.i have multiprocessing enabled and 0.5 GB allocated for each CPU.My project is just 10 minutes long and contains AVI uncompressed video and some small FX.Can anyone help whats going wrong and why?

Best Regards

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Unbelievable memory duming!!!Help required.
by on Mar 2, 2010 at 3:45:50 pm

You don't have enough RAM to take advantage of multiprocessing. Turn off multiprocessing.

Don't live and die by AE's RAM usage information. Some AE processes require more RAM than others, and you will drive yourself crazy if you try to figure it out.

If AE keeps quitting as you render, you may have to PRERENDER certain pieces of your comp to decrease RAM usage. You may also want to render an image sequence instead of a movie. Then you can pick up the rendering at the next frame if AE fails again.

Without more information about your footage or what you're doing in your comp, it's difficult to tell you more.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Unbelievable memory duming!!!Help required.
by on Mar 2, 2010 at 3:54:08 pm

with only 4gb of ram, i think i'd try disabling multiprocessing (preferences>multiprocessing), or limit the number of cpus ae uses by settign the number of cpus to leave for other apps to a value that will leave only 2 cpus for ae (ie, if ae sees 4 cpus to use, set 2 cpus to use for other apps, leaving 2 for ae).

also, leave at least 1gb of ram for other apps (a setting in the same multiprocessing panel). and set the cache slider to the middle (between faster and longer).

if you are still having problems after that, ae may be having trouble clearing the cache (which happens once and while). to fix this, hold shift while selecting preferences>general. then, click the preference dropdown menu and at the bottom should be one that says 'secret'. select that and set the purge frames value to a value that is the number of frames that have rendered around the time that ae hits the 50% ram mark or lower.

once you have finished this project, you'll want delete that purge value. it can have a negative effect on performance, and should only be used when ae can't clear the cache automatically.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Unbelievable memory duming!!!Help required.
by on Mar 2, 2010 at 5:02:36 pm

I agree with the Dave and Kevin. You need to turn off multiprocessing. You need at least 2 GB of RAM per core and you need to leave at least 1 GB of RAM for your operating system and other background processes. Here's a post from an Adobe employee explaining more about it.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved