ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Rendering speed drops...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Declan BullockRendering speed drops...
by on Feb 28, 2010 at 5:59:12 pm

I'm desperate to get my 10 minute video rendered for Youtube.
It's a 720p 30fps video. I've tried Mov and f4v.

My computer:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Amd Phenom 8750 triple-core, 8gb RAM.
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512.

I'm only running minimum background processes and i disabled win7 aero (so now it's the old windows 98 theme...)

First, i tried rendering it in Premiere Pro.. no luck. It stopped after 25 minutes.

Then i tried rendering in AE. Same result.
After searching on google, i enabled purging every 30 frames.

The problem is, after about 43 minutes of rendering, the rendering speed decreases. If i look at my task manager it takes up 67% of my RAM, and it increases about 0,01GB per second...

Any ideas how i can get this to work?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Rendering speed drops...
by on Feb 28, 2010 at 10:38:36 pm

You didn't say what version of After Effects you're using. After Effects CS4 (9.0.2)?

Also, be sure to read this post about memory settings.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Declan BullockRe: Rendering speed drops...
by on Mar 1, 2010 at 3:30:47 pm

I'm using AE CS4

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rendering speed drops...
by on Mar 1, 2010 at 3:51:24 pm

[Declan Bullock] "I'm desperate to get my 10 minute video rendered for Youtube.
It's a 720p 30fps video. I've tried Mov and f4v. "

You could have a few issues going on here.

First, the term "mov" only tells you that it's a quicktime movie, which is simply a container for multimedia files. Within the file can be compressed with one of many different compression schemes, or codecs. If you want to have successin AE, you've got to know about codecs. AE's online help is a great place to start.

Second, you could be having problems based on the kind of footage you're using:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Third, you should re-think how you're creating the media files in AE:

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Declan BullockRe: Rendering speed drops...
by on Mar 6, 2010 at 5:03:37 pm

I have .mp4 files which i imported and edited in premiere pro. And now i'm trying to render them in AE, because i have read in several forums that the media encoder never works.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved