ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

questions about video(film) formats

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leo Lagerwallquestions about video(film) formats
by on Feb 26, 2010 at 7:05:29 pm

Hi everyone! I got some questions about video(film) formats.

This new formats really confuses me. I miss the good old days when you just had to worry abut the dv format.

What type of codec or lossless format would be preferred, when importing hdv into After effect? And what format whould be the best in speed and stabilitiy on a Windows based plattform?

Lets put it this way , I have just got a new video-camera which can output hdv format, thats the main reason why I want to use the hdv format, but in many ways it seems better to stick with the old dv format. What are the most common formats people use these days?
If I am going to output my work for commercial screening and internet what resolution and format would be the best choice?

I have worked in After effects for many years and I want to continue doing that , but I need some basic understanding in these new formats. If you put i like this; what would be the best substitute for the old dv format?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Leo LagerwallRe: questions about video(film) formats
by on Feb 26, 2010 at 8:08:36 pm

I will try to explain things a bit more.

I have shooted some material in HDV settning with a video-camera.
I captured the materal in Adobe Premiere (HVD format, 1080p25).

I moved the material from Premiere into After Effects, and after I am done adjusting some things I have to return the material into Premiere to make the final editing. What would be the best procedure or workflow?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: questions about video(film) formats
by on Feb 26, 2010 at 10:04:07 pm

You'll have to export a movie from Premiere for use in AE... and in a LOSSLESS CODEC to boot. Here's why:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: questions about video(film) formats
by on Feb 26, 2010 at 8:35:37 pm

[Leo Lagerwall] "I got some questions about video(film) formats..."

This implies you intend to shoot at a film frame rate. Know that in NTSC-land, 1080 HDV contains 3:2 pulldown, and it's always best to remove it prior to editing. Depending on the camera, 720 can either contain pulldown or be transferred in some editing apps at 23.976 footage, all set to go.

[Leo Lagerwall] "What type of codec or lossless format would be preferred, when importing hdv into After effect? And what format whould be the best in speed and stabilitiy on a Windows based plattform? "

No help on this one, I'm a Mac guy. I ALWAYS like quicktime, with its wide variety of codecs. Capture in something like Photo JPEG if you can. You can edit in it and you can use it in AE.

[Leo Lagerwall] "What are the most common formats people use these days? "

I'm not sure what you mean by "format" in this instance. 4x3? 16x9? HD/SD? A certain codec?

[Leo Lagerwall] "If I am going to output my work for commercial screening and internet what resolution and format would be the best choice? "

What's "commercial screening"? Playing stuff at the movies? Making commercials? In terms of resolution, it's always good to work in the highest quality and resolution, then convert it for other purposes. To be most flexible, you'll probably want to shoot progressive scan -- no pesky interlacing to contend with for internet purposes.

[Leo Lagerwall] "...what would be the best substitute for the old dv format? "

Just about anything. DV always stunk. If you did any chroma key work in DV, do you remember the fun? Well, the fun continues with HDV! Its color resolution is even a little bit crappier!

You can sidestep lousy color resolution by getting the appropriate video I/O capture device, then using the SDI or HDMI outputs on your camera to capture a REALLY NICE HD picture before the HDV acquisition codec mucks it up. Capture in the codec of your choice.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Leo LagerwallRe: questions about video(film) formats
by on Feb 28, 2010 at 4:18:08 pm

Thanks again!

What I meant by format are all the different kind of video -standards
like the DVCPRO50 , DVCPROHD, HDV and AVCHD. My computer setup and camera are both capable in handling these new formats but I am unsure how to work with them.

"Just about anything. DV always stunk. If you did any chroma key work in DV, do you remember the fun? Well, the fun continues with HDV! Its color resolution is even a little bit crappier!"

Yes I remember, hehe. / But HDV standard seems a bit to extreme, the Lossless format in 1920x 1080 gets so huge it is impossble to store longer sequences on the hdd...
-----
[Leo Lagerwall] "What are the most common formats people use these days? "

I'm not sure what you mean by "format" in this instance. 4x3? 16x9? HD/SD? A certain codec?

--- Yes, do you know any good place on the internet that explain all these different formats?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]