ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Create Clipping Mask

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike SussmanCreate Clipping Mask
by on Feb 24, 2010 at 7:29:23 pm

In PhotoShop you can "Create Clipping Mask" to make the shape of an adjacent layer define the boundaries of the other layer. Is there an equivalent function in Adobe After Effects (CS3)?

So just for one example, say if I wanted to add a light stripes pattern to an oddly shaped logo layer. In PhotoShop I could put a large canvas of black and white stripes on a layer above my logo cutout and then "Create Clipping Mask" and the shape of the logo would now be filled with the black and white stripes, and then I could resize or change the opacity of the stripes to better suit my needs. But how would you do that in After Effects?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Create Clipping Mask
by on Feb 24, 2010 at 9:33:50 pm

track matte

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Create Clipping Mask
by on Feb 24, 2010 at 9:35:25 pm

Track Mattes

You really want to go to this page read it and go to all its links and read/watch them. You really really want to. Trust me.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Mike SussmanRe: Create Clipping Mask
by on Feb 24, 2010 at 10:17:26 pm

Thanks guys.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved