ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

question about computer speed

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leo Lagerwallquestion about computer speed
by on Feb 24, 2010 at 1:34:46 am

My new pc build feels quite slow while rendering and watching media edited in After effects and Premiere, I am not excatly sure about what to expect from a computer with the following spec/

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D PRO, Intel P55
CPU: 1 x Intel CPU Intel Quad Core i7 860 (2.8GHz) Socket-1156 1333MHz 8MB Cache 64bit 95W Lynnfield B1 Boxed
RAM, DDR3: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 4GB CL8 (ram speed set to 1333MHz)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB

-But Lets say I want to render HDV 1440X1080 into uncompressed Quicktime (animation, best quality) on this build It will take around 50 seconds to render 28 seconds to quicktime (animation). When I try to watch the clip in Quicktime mediaplayer after the rendering is done the clip will hangup after 5-6 sek, and I have press the play button several times to resume the playback. The size of the clip is around 2,9 gb, / Is this normal, or could it be some kind of bottleneck slowing down my system?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: question about computer speed
by on Feb 24, 2010 at 4:59:30 am

There's a lot in your post, so I'll just focus on the thing that leapt out at me. You say that your rather short video is 2.9GB. That's because you created an uncompressed movie. Uncompresed movies aren't for playing back in a player; they're to be used for intermediate files, to feed into another post-production application. Even a pretty good computer is going to have a hard time serving the data from the hard disk fast enough to play an uncompressed movie.

Regarding performance in general, I recommend starting by reading this page, including the comments: "Improve performance".

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved