ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Is this render speed normal?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert pukasIs this render speed normal?
by on Feb 23, 2010 at 8:20:22 pm

I am amazed how slow after effects are and think that maybe something is with my pc.
I have intel core2duo@3,00ghz, 4gb ram, sata hdd, blackmagick decklink studio i/o card and geforce 8600gt video card. It is so slow I cant even play uncompressed SD movie in realtime... If I put keylight on I get 10fps. I also use edius 4 and its render is super faster than ae's... I can put many effects and it still plays in real time. So is this normal?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Is this render speed normal?
by on Feb 23, 2010 at 8:56:36 pm

Non-Linear Editors and After Effects handle video in completely different ways.
With your setup, it seems quite normal, yes.
AE is not intended for real-time playback. You render a portion of the animation/composite out and watch that.
You really shouldn't press your spacebar to preview (I'm not sure why that's even included as an option) Press 0 on your number pad to initiate a RAM preview, you will see green start showing up on the top of your timeline, these are the rendered frames. Since you don't have a lot of RAM, I wouldn't expect it to give you a terribly long preview, but that depends on the resolution of your comp. It will either hit the limit of available RAM and start playing back or you can press 0 (on the number pad) again to play back real-time.

See "Preview video and audio" for more info.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Is this render speed normal?
by on Feb 23, 2010 at 9:02:38 pm

[Robert pukas] "...I also use edius 4 and its render is super faster than ae's... "

Well, After Effects isn't anything LIKE your editing application.

It's an effects, motion graphics and compositing application. It's intended to be used for totally different things than an editing application. Thus, it doesn't work the same way your editing application does.

You can't PLAY anything in AE. AE has to render EVERYTHING, so keep them fingers off the space bar! Your first assignment: learn to do a RAM Preview:

And while we're at it, you probably ought to read this stuff, too:

There is a lot of good stuff in there.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Robert pukasRe: Is this render speed normal?
by on Feb 24, 2010 at 6:31:55 am

Thank you very much for information

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved