ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Animation preset background duration

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan HowardAnimation preset background duration
by on Feb 22, 2010 at 5:18:35 pm

Hi ... simple question re CS3 AE...
I have selected an animation preset background (silk.ffx)to cover a 2:30 composition .... by default the duration of the effect seems to be 5 seconds ...If I pull the start / stop keyframes apart the animation is so slow as to be nonexistant ... I've duplicated the start keyframes and pasted 5 secs after the end keyframes which obviously just loops and isn't the effect I'm after ... how do I keep the speed of the animation as in original 5 sec clip but increase the duration to 2:30? ...

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Animation preset background duration
by on Feb 23, 2010 at 5:08:45 pm

Well, you could look at how much the keyframe changes over that specific time and just make it keep going at that speed for the remainder of the comp time. You know, animate it yourself.

Or, if you want to get fancy...
Alt-click the stopwatch on the keyframed property to create an expression. Delete the text that shows up and write loopOut("continue");
Then press enter on your number pad and see how that works.

Since you clearly haven't got a grasp of the basics such as keyframing, I would highly suggest you go through the basic training available here (FREE)
Also, check out this page and the accompanying links.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: Animation preset background duration
by on Feb 23, 2010 at 5:13:40 pm

I don't use presets much and I'm not familiar with that particular one so I'll try to answer in general terms. If you think about it, what you're asking is how to time-stretch something without affecting the speed at which the action takes place, which is technically impossible.

So, duplicating the layer you've applied the preset to is the only way that comes to mind to accomplish what you've described (although there may also be some fancy-nancy expressions method ;~). To avoid a repetitive loop you can adjust the effects parameters slightly differently for each instance. I hope this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved