ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Strange keyframe problem, keys almost seem like they're being held.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy ButtellStrange keyframe problem, keys almost seem like they're being held.
by on Feb 18, 2010 at 7:30:23 am

Please see image:
http://files.me.com/jeremybuttell/kgvv34

I'm fairly experienced with editing keys/tangents, animating etc, in packages like Maya/Max etc. In general, I've had pretty good success with AFX, though I'm still learning. I'd really appreciate if someone could guide me toward what I could possibly be doing wrong here.

The strangest thing is happening. In the image, notice the position curve. Regardless of what I set the temporal interpolation to, the graph shows a very strange curve with a 90deg kink. I can't freely edit the tangents (notice they're horizontal - they can not be rotated, only the key moves up and down if I try and move them. It almost looks like 'hold' is enabled, but it isn't. I've reset the keys back to linear, bezier, etc, but nothing gets rid of that unwanted 90deg curve transition. In other apps, I'd think I had maybe doubled up on keyframes in that spot, but I've deleted/recreated the key and it keeps coming back like that.

I didn't think it would make a difference, but for the hell of it - I changed the spatial interpolation too, but.... as I suspected it made no difference.

Any ideas? I'd appreciate a pointer here.

thanks!

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Strange keyframe problem, keys almost seem like they're being held.
by on Feb 18, 2010 at 4:21:47 pm

It sounds to me like you're looking at the speed graph when you want to be looking at the value graph. See "Controlling speed between keyframes" and "The Graph Editor"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Jeremy ButtellRe: Strange keyframe problem, keys almost seem like they're being held.
by on Feb 18, 2010 at 7:20:12 pm

Thank you Todd, that seems to be it. I'm uncertain how or why it would default to that view, but I'm sure there's a good reason for it. I don't have it fully figured out, but what you pointed me to solved the main problem. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]