ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Pan Behind Tool Trouble

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Jackson
Pan Behind Tool Trouble
on Feb 16, 2010 at 4:56:58 am

Hi CC,

I'm trying to use the Pan Behind tool with my object with a masked image layer to move the anchor point.

I guess the method to move the anchor point of this layer is by holding down the alt/opt key. I do that and a box appears stretching my image when it should just move the anchor point...to my knowledge that is.

Then sometimes it comes on by simply clicking on the screen. Why does it only appear sometimes. Like it seems to respond well to vector but not bitmap material. However, I'm going by tutorial and watching the guy do it so it must be possible.

What am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Pan Behind Tool Trouble
on Feb 16, 2010 at 9:58:05 pm

I found a how-to by going to Adobe's online help....

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/index.html

....and typing in "pan behind tool":

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906...

It took two minutes. Cool, huh?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Max Jackson
on Feb 17, 2010 at 2:37:05 am

Hi Dave,

If you mean the whol alt-drag thing, I tried that. I also found a tutorial saying the same thing at Motionworks.com.

But it won't go. It shows up fine IN the actual masked object, but that defeats the purpose of the tool.

The problem I have is that when I turn on the Pan Behind Tool the anchor won't appear for the object in the layer and I know the anchor is on the stage. Only when I drag the object in the mask (pic attached).

Does this only work for pre-comps or something? I can't seem to get the dang anchor point to show up and then it will only alter what's in the masked object.

How do you selected a masked object to make the anchor appear for moving?

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Feb 17, 2010 at 5:39:01 am

Sorry if I'm misreading the question, but it looks like you got it to show up fine in that pic. It's outside the masked area. What is it that you're trying to accomplish by alt-dragging with pan behind tool?

Return to posts index

Max Jackson
on Feb 17, 2010 at 6:54:11 am

It's not moving the anchor point of the masked comp, it's resizing and moving it.

I'm just trying to change anchor point. Via the tutorial I've been following involving this issue, the teacher clicks on the layer a few times or something and gets the square box (not with X lines, but with the up, down, left, and right scale points) to appear along with the main anchor point.

For me it does nothing or wants to go into the PNG layer even after selecting the object. Like the tool behaves like useless for my understanding of it's purpose which makes absolutely no sense. My situation is screaming user error, but I don't know how much more basic it could be. That's why it's so frustrating.

I can even hold down the pan behind (left mouse button) on the masked portion of the image and see the anchor point appear in t he middle of the stage. But it disappears once I lift up and if I drag, it moves the image. If I do the same thing hitting Alt, it totally skews the positioning with that X box thing I posted.

Return to posts index

Max Jackson
on Feb 17, 2010 at 8:07:58 am

Here's a posted video example of what I mean:

http://www.axiom-media.com/_video/AnchorPointTrouble.mov

I'm at a loss as to what I'm not doing right.

As always, thanks to everybody for reading.

Return to posts index

Max Jackson
on Feb 17, 2010 at 2:49:24 am

Like here's another image of me selecting the masked image:

Shouldn't the anchor appear? I know it's in the center per my other post.

I also tried alt-click. If I click it too much, it just goes into the layer.

(sigh) trying to figure out why this super easy thing should just work.

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Feb 17, 2010 at 2:05:22 pm

Select your layer in the timeline. Can you see the anchor point - the circle with the X in it?
Get the Pan Behind tool. Click on the center of the anchor point and drag it anywhere you want.

You've moved the anchor point.

If you click with the pan tool anywhere outside your masked area other than directly on the anchor point, everything will deselect.

If you click anywhere inside the masked area other than directly on the anchor point, and drag, you will move the layer and its anchor point together without moving the mask.

And if you click on an anchor point that's inside the masked area, again you will just move the anchor point.

If you option click and drag the anchor point, you change its location on the layer but not its position in the comp, so the layer moves in the comp but the anchor point remains where it was.

If you option click and drag anywhere inside the masked area other than directly on the anchor point, you move the layer along with its anchor point, which does the same thing as not holding down option.

You can also move the anchor point of a mask, which is a completely different thing from the mask point of a layer. Double clicking a mask vertex brings up the mask's bounding box. You can move its anchor point with either the selection tool or the pan behind tool.

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Feb 17, 2010 at 2:12:53 pm

Oh, and by the way...

When you're working with masks, you can often make your life a whole lot easier by temporarily setting the mask to None while you make adjustments to a layer.

Return to posts index

Max Jackson
on Feb 18, 2010 at 12:22:44 am

Hi Joey,

I posted another video of me selecting the layer with the pan behind tool and the anchor doesn't show.

http://www.axiom-media.com/_video/AnchorPointTrouble.mov

Am I missing something here? I feel like either my copy of AE doesn't work or I'm just plain retarded. lol

It's supposed to show up right?

Thanks for your time Joey,
-maX

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Feb 18, 2010 at 12:51:01 am

At the top right of the Comp window is a little right-facing arrow in a circle. That accesses some options, the first one being View Options. Look at those and make sure everything is checked, particularly Handles.

Return to posts index

Max Jackson
on Feb 19, 2010 at 1:50:07 am

AH!!! You found it! YOU FOUND IT!!!!! It was the Handles checkbox under View Options!

Joey, you're a Saint!! I couldn't have done it without you.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!

THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!

Return to posts index

Max Jackson
on Feb 17, 2010 at 3:46:55 am

Nevermind, false post, thought I had something figured out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]