ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

magnify issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hamid Rohi-Bilverdymagnify issue
by on Feb 13, 2010 at 7:47:59 pm

hi...
So i have tried to play around with the adjustment and solid layer to create the magnify effect but with no luck.. I want to create a rectangle mask which should have the magnify effect applied. I hoped i could use an adjustment layer and create a rectangle mask inside the layer and then apply magnify effect to it so that it would only magnify inside the mask! Please help me with this...

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: magnify issue
by on Feb 13, 2010 at 9:40:11 pm

some effects ignore masks, magnify may be one of those.

try creating an adjustment layer that is the size that you need, then apply magnify.

or, use a track matte to mask the magnify layer.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Hamid Rohi-BilverdyRe: magnify issue
by on Feb 13, 2010 at 10:09:55 pm

when you say the size i need from the adjustment layer then you mean i make a mask on the adjustment layer, the size i want . am i right?
Sorry for this basic question but how and what is the approch for the track matte?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 14, 2010 at 2:43:33 pm

basicly i import a drawing of a magnify glass i created in photoshop. I want to have the magnify effect only in the glass, but i bo going to animate the glass so it would be moving a bit around, so do i have to keyframe every frame or is there an other way? Please advice?

Return to posts index

Stuart ElithRe: magnify issue
by on Feb 15, 2010 at 3:33:20 am

Your problem is that Magnify doesn't use a whole layer, there is a point from which it magnifies (you can specify circle or square only).

So one option is to position the center of the Magnify effect in the center of your glass illustration.

Otherwise if you wanted to use an adjustment layer you could try a different effect such as Bulge or even use the Transform effect and modify the scale.

You should be able to get it working with Magnify, though. Center it in the middle of the glass, adjust the size so that it fits properly, then you need to parent the adjustment layer to the magnifying glass illustration. This will mean that it moves and scales in the same way... so even when you animate the glass, the layer will move with it :)

Return to posts index

by on Feb 15, 2010 at 4:34:31 pm

I draw a magnify glass in Photoshop and importet it to my comp. I tried as you said with centering the magnify effect in the middle of the glass and parentet my adjustment layer to my glass layer, nothing happend, the magnify effect just stayed in place, I also tried put the effect on the glass it self but no luck there either...

There must be away I can make it follow my glass image??

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: magnify issue
by on Feb 15, 2010 at 6:31:26 pm

hi hamid,

first i'd like apologize for my first post. i was on a system that did not have ae, so i was unable to actually look at the magnify effect. it will indeed accept masks.. i was able to create an adjustment layer with a rectangular mask and add the magnify effect and it worked on just the masked area. i did need to make the magnify size property larger to fill the masked area.

linking the magnify center property to the magnifying glass would be more difficult. you can't use simple parenting and would need to use expression.

so, as stuart pointed out, you may want to try a different approach.

here is a tutorial that describes one method to create a magnifying glass:;

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/rabinowitz_aharon/CC_Magnify.php

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Feb 17, 2010 at 3:58:35 pm

hi kevin.
Thank you for the post link. It was exactly what needed. Adjustment layer is really powerfull if you can master it's potentials.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]