ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

System requirements for FullHD

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn DavidsonSystem requirements for FullHD
by on Feb 12, 2010 at 12:15:29 am

Hi all, I'm a noob and have been asked to do a 30sec promo for a trade show. I'm running Window XP sp3 - Intel Quad core 6600 2.4Gb with 3Gb RAM. Will this be a decent system to export FullHD quality?

We are looking at purchasing AE CS4 and need to know if we need an upgrade. 2ndly we're based in Australia and should I use 1920 x 1080 25fps Square Pixel project?

Thanks for any help,
best regards, Glenn

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: System requirements for FullHD
by on Feb 12, 2010 at 5:21:42 am

[Glenn Davidson] "Hi all, I'm a noob and have been asked to do a 30sec promo for a trade show"

How far away is your deadline? If it's less than three weeks, you're already in trouble.

AE is NOT the kind of application where you can learn a couple of tricks just to get by, no sir! You absolutely, positively MUST know the basics, or AE will put you so far into a World Of Hurt that you won't know how to get out. I recommend starting here:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

Todd Kopriva from Adobe has a fine collection of information there, and you should look at all of it.

I'm not kidding -- you have to know the basics. Nobody on any forum enjoys getting "What do I do next?" questions every five minutes from someone who thought he or she could skip the basics and jump right into the deep end.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Glenn Davidson] "I'm running Window XP sp3 - Intel Quad core 6600 2.4Gb with 3Gb RAM. Will this be a decent system to export FullHD quality? We are looking at purchasing AE CS4 and need to know if we need an upgrade."

I wouldn't want to run AE on your machine. Your computer is woefully short on RAM. 3GB is absolutely nothing in AE-land. You haven't even mentioned your storage. I recommend you get at least 1 additional terrabyte drive. Don't expect to be able to play anything back in real time unless you get some pretty fancy striped arrays and a video capture card.

I also feel it's fair to warn you: when Adobe comes out with AE 10 in its Creative Suite 5, it's going to be a 64-bit application. You won't be able to run it on your machine. Just for starters, you'll need Windows 7 and about 16 GB RAM. 32 GB would be better for AE work... and nobody's saying how much more RAM AE will be able to use in the new release.

So when will CS5 be released? Adobe isn't saying. But considering CS4 has been around for perhaps a year and a half, and Adobe has a history of releasing new versions every 18-24 months, it can't be that far away, y'know?

To summarize: you have a BUNCH of learning to do, and fast! You may be able to limp along on your current computer, but you won't like it. I recommend talking to a good local production house about what they like in good, up-to-date windows machines for HD.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Glenn DavidsonRe: System requirements for FullHD
by on Feb 12, 2010 at 6:42:18 am

Thanks Dave for taking the time to reply, this was my first post on the cow (long time reader) I started on AE 5.5 but have been in flash land for a long time. We are getting CS4 but appreciate the head up on CS5 and I'll see if I can 'limp' in with these computer specs (The client now just wants SD) and let you know how I go.
Thank you again for the comprehensive reply.
Best regards,
Glenn

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: System requirements for FullHD
by on Feb 12, 2010 at 2:28:07 pm

At work I use a lovely double quad-core machine with 16 Gb of RAM, but at home, I still use my 7 year-old computer running Windows XP SP2, a Pentium 4 processor (single core, not even hyperthreading), and 1 Gb of RAM.
These days it's just for (an old version of) Photoshop and messing around a little bit in AE with expressions.

However, a friend of mine wanted an intro for a video series and he wanted it to look good so he came to me. It was a personal project so I wasn't going to use my work computer.
Did I mention he wanted it to be in HD?

So I did it.

Using techniques such as lower resolution in the comp window, turning off motion blur, using draft quality, etc. made working on it bearable. I produced the intro using multiple layers of HD footage all in 3d space with large textures on the floor and lots of animated layers and I survived.
I have decided that my next purchase is going to be a new computer...but I survived.

Your machine is worlds better than mine, but they've decided they want to go SD, so you'll be fine as far as the machine goes.

As to your noob status...I hope you're a fast learner. The link Dave gave you is a great place to start getting back up to speed. Since you have some experience with After Effects in the past, hopefully you won't have too much trouble. Of course the COW has tons of delightful tutorials for AE and there are tons of noobs who love the ones over at VideoCopilot.net

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 12, 2010 at 4:14:00 pm

[Glenn Davidson] "We are getting CS4 but appreciate the head up on CS5..."

And while you're at it, getting the 64-bit Windows 7 may be a VERY good idea.

If Adobe follows true to form, it will offer a low-price upgrade to CS5 for CS4 customers. Depending on how closely your CS4 purchase is to CS5's release, the deal may be even sweeter.

Now, that previous sentence is just speculation on my part. I have no crystal ball that lets me predict Adobe's upgrade policy. I'm just recalling what's happened in the past.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: System requirements for FullHD
by on Feb 12, 2010 at 11:15:56 pm

All I'd add is that I also do some AE work on my Dell M90 laptop, XP Pro SP3...2GB RAM, dual core.

It's not fast, though working on it is assisted by the Mobile Quadro FX 2500 display card I have in it.

All the work I do is HD. On certain days when I want to go home, I take the work along and do it. I probably wouldn't want to try to make a complete living on it, but AE doesn't need synchronous response like Premiere Pro or an NLE application does. You can pooch through it if you need to. Dave has the requests hitting him fast with yesterday deadlines in broadcast television...he can't be under-powered and get his work done.

I'd recommend breaking your 30 second deal into 4 or 5 comps so you can focus on small bits at a time if at all possible.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

by on Feb 12, 2010 at 11:35:11 pm

[Michael Szalapski] "...at home, I still use my 7 year-old computer running Windows XP SP2, a Pentium 4 processor (single core, not even hyperthreading), and 1 Gb of RAM... "

[Tim Kolb] "...I also do some AE work on my Dell M90 laptop, XP Pro SP3...2GB RAM, dual core...."

Points well taken, gents.

Tim's right about those TV deadlines, which indeed affect my judgement of machines.

That said, I'd still think in terms of getting a 64-bit operating system and more RAM, Glenn, especially if you intend to use it as your real money-making machine.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: System requirements for FullHD
by on Feb 13, 2010 at 6:15:34 am

I fully agree with Dave. I would never work on my home machine under any kind of deadline. If you want to make money you need a much more powerful machine.

Today at work, I was working on a 3d scene with tons of particles, lighting, etc. and it would have taken me weeks at home to do what I did in one day at work.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Ram RajeshRe: System requirements for FullHD
by on Aug 15, 2012 at 2:47:57 pm

HI..
Am using Core i3 M390 Intel processor Dell laptop and 4GB RAM ,500GB HD,1GB Graphic card.

i was tested 1920 x 1080 HD After Effects(AE)Video Hive project in above mentioned laptop.
but i was not able to work with this system (if i render 1min project it will take upto 2.30Hrs) to run above project what is the perfect Desktop/laptop system requirements?
please give me sugession?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]