ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Annimating still image

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan EliotAnnimating still image
by on Feb 9, 2010 at 5:55:16 am

I have a picture that I want to annimate behind another still image. It would be like if someone was lurking behind the subjects in the photo, popping in and out. How would I go about doing this? I am using AE CS3 and Photoshop. After the lurker enters the photo I need his eyes to look back and forth too. I've been reading through the posts here and can't find a previous question pertaining to this. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Annimating still image
by on Feb 9, 2010 at 2:14:06 pm

Make a layer from the still image that has the foreground object.

Draw a mask around the foreground object.

Duplicate the layer.

Invert the mask on the lower (background) copy of the layer so that now the top layer has just the foreground object and the bottom layer has just the background.

Make a new layer out of the second still image---the one that is going to pop in and out from behind the other.

Put the new layer between the other two.

Animate the Position property and other transform properties.

If you don't know how to do any of these things, then I recommend searching After Effects Help for the details. Here's a search that brings up instruction for inverting a mask.

If you're asking questions this basic about how to use After Effects, I strongly recommend that you read this: "Getting started with After Effects".

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved